Contributor
michael37
Accepted Solution

ADSL 2+ Noise margin

I have recently been upgraded to ADSL 2+, speeds were initially very disapointing (8Mb/s sync rate) so I followed BTs advice for non BT modems and reset it after which I got a 10.5MB/s sync rate

While theresulting speed boost (up from 7Mb/s sync rates) is welcome I notice that my noise margin is a little high at 8.0 - 8.5db. The line was rock solid through the 10 day testing period with no disconnects. I have tried the master socket and after 3 days again rock solid but no significant change in speed or drop in noise margin.

I suspect the high noise margin is a carry over from when I was on ADSLmax - as it had a similar noise margin - which itself probably resulted from when my orginal BT modem broke down resulting in a flurry of diconnects/

Do you guys think it is worth asking for my noise margin to be reset to see if I can get a little more out of the connection - I'll admin that it would be nice to see a double figures download speed.

Speed test results:

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 8.73 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.73 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 9.39 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.69 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.69Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I am on a netgear modem router so I don't get the amount of stats one gets from a hub but here is what I have:

System Up Time 76:10:41

PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA5893998073610349301376:09:13
LAN10M/100M2034000091076:10:23
WLAN11M/54M/150M7573965800440337650251:45:33

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed10648 Kbps888 Kbps
Line Attenuation34.4 dB18.2 dB
Noise Margin8.3 dB13.1 dB
Sage
imjolly

Re: ADSL 2+ Noise margin

[ Edited ]

I would ask to get noise margin reset to 6db which will increase your connection speed   for your attenuation I would expect about 11.5/12mb

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
michael37

Thank you for the quick response! I have put my request in and will post back the result once I get a response.

I will admit that with FTTC or FTTP not likely to reach my exchange for a few years (at least) effectivly doubling my connection speed (from adslMax) will be quite nice.

Sage
imjolly

I have same problem with FTTC so need to make best of adsl2+

post new stats after noise margin reset please - just like to see new figures

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
michael37

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your helkp guys!

One of the moderators has reset by broadband profile and I seem to have gained an extre 1Mb/s, the upstream speeds have also impreved somewhat.

Current stats:

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 9.58 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 9.58 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 10.3 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.96 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.96Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed11672 Kbps1159 Kbps
Line Attenuation34.4 dB18.2 dB
Noise Margin5.2 dB5.7 dB

One final question. Does resetting my profile put the line back in a 10 day testing period?

Sage
john46

it is best just now to leave the connection to settle after a noise margin reset but there is no training period as such
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Expert
lovelylisa22

I got put on ADSL2+ on the 26th June and my noise margin is always about 7db but I'm getting loads of errors.  It's only restarted 3 times so far and not gone past 12.39Mbps yet :smileysad:

Hopefully it will go up by Friday when the ten day period is up and I'll stop getting errors although I don't know whether or not that's the case.

Sage
john46

@ lovely lisa
once your line training is completed then we can look at trying to improve your connection and getting the errors down
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Expert
lovelylisa22

I'm thinking about looking into bellwire removal after friday but the socket is quite old and doesn't look like any in the videos so i'll have to upload a picture first if it doesn't get better

Sage
john46

ok no problem