Expert
rhyds

Acceptable levels of FEC and CRC errors

Untill recently my broadband link's been fine and dandy, but I'm not seeing my FEC and CRC errors slowly climbing. Also, interleaving's been applied to my like (Despite me being 300m from the exchange and syncing at 8mbit).

What I want to know is how many FEC/CRC errors should one be experiencing on an average line over (say) a few days uptime.

Sage
john46

Re: Acceptable levels of FEC and CRC errors

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
john46

if you can post the details from your hub stats then we can help further normally interleaving turns on due to line instability FEC's are nothing to worry about as that is just showing interleaving is working but the CRC's should not rise to high
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Expert
rhyds

The connection is still stable and working at regular speed and the line sounds OK (though it has been bucketing it down recently so a connection could be failing on the line intermittently. I was just wondering if the interleaving would switch itself off after a few days or not? I'm not that fussed (I have very few latency dependent apps), I was just thinking if there was a hub stat that would explain why it had been applied?

Sage
john46

interleaving is normally automatic but once it comes on it normally stays on the errors shown on your hubstats are what causes interleaving to come on
Expert
rhyds

john46 wrote:
interleaving is normally automatic but once it comes on it normally stays on the errors shown on your hubstats are what causes interleaving to come on

Here's my stats (I accidentally unplugged the router the other night, hence the low uptime)

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 22:29:09
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):17.6 dB / 26.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):5.6 dB / 2.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):12.0 dBm / 12.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):488203 / 13
CRC Events (Down/Up):473 / 7
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):1072 / 8
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):401 / 2

Does that look normal? The line's quet as a mouse.

Sage
john46

I would not worry if your download speed is ok