gs1
Beginner
gs1

Awful drop in speed...

For the last three days i have suffered an awful drop in speed from an already slow connection. The speed has gone from an average of around 1.2mbs to being lucky if i reach 0.4mbs. This makes even the simplist things difficult. I can no longer even watch the BBC iplayer the speed is that slow. This has been going on for a few days at first i gave BT the benefit of the doubt and thought the issue would just go away, but it hasn't. I'm not impressed with my speed when the connection is working correctly so to say i am NOT impressed now is a complete understatment. I have checked the BT Service Status and found no recent problems in my area so i presume everything is working as it should. So what would explain my sudden drop in speed. Any help would be appreciated.

Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

Re: Awful drop in speed...

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problems.  It sounds like you may have been hit with a bit of interference.  This might be a failing bit of electrical equipment in your house, or in your area, that is introducing electrical interference onto the telphone line.  Lots of things can cause it (see here).  You can try a few self-help measures, but please be aware that it could be 2-3 days before you see an improvement.

The bottom line is if the interference is stopped, the line will become more stable and your speed will rise.  If the interference persists, the situation will stay the same or worsen.

Run the BT Speedtester regularly and keep an eye on your IP profile.  If that continues to drop, it is a sign of a continuing problems.

It's much easier to convince BT you have a problem if you have got a bit of evidence to support what you are saying!

""To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Guru
RogerB

Also, taking in account all that's been said, the worst thing you can do, is constantly restarting your hub or router, as this can also be perceived by the exchange as line faults, it's important not to let frustration take over by constantly restarting and if it's going to improve it will. If no improvement is forthcoming after 48 -72 hours, you may well have a line fault or excessive noise which needs further investigation.

gs1
Beginner
gs1

2 days after i posted this the net speed seemed to return to normal, but again 2 weeks later the same thing again, complete lack of speed. So slow infact i can't even watch bbc iplayer in normal quality without it stopping and starting.

Guru
RogerB

Try and post your router stats and the results of a Bt throughput test, to see if we can help you.