Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
afp

BBC iplayer insufficient bandwidth

I would love to use iplayer occasionally but am constantly frustrated by TV programmes stopping for several seconds every minute or so and starting again, some not restarting at all. I've assumed that this is a bandwidth problem and so used their tool to check mine. It tells me that I have insufficient.

I tried downloading their iplayer as suggested - still no improvement.

Is their a solution? 

Aspiring Expert

Re: BBC iplayer insufficient bandwidth

Maybe a BT Accelerator might solve your problem. You can potentially get a couple of mb extra bandwidth from it. Other than that, you could ring in and make sure that the current speed you are getting or right, and not due to any type of fault.

Recognised Expert

Post your router stats so we can see what your line is like.

Useful BBC iPlayer speedtest function here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

This will help to confirm your useable bandwidth.

Guru

It's not just a case of downloading the iPlayer software, if your bandwidth isn't up to snuff you can download any programmes you want to watch and use the software to view it after it's downloaded. If that's giving you an issue then it's your PC rather than your broadband which can't hack it.

afp

Thanks for the link. Will run the diagnostic and post the result.

Contributor

I seem to have the BBC iplayer but it is pathetically slow at anything.  example....   I am still unable to watch the Aussie tennis from yesterday as it just says it is not available for the 2nd part and when i try to play the first part i just get the little ring of death going around and around !   Is this a problem with BT vision or with the BBC ? and is there anything i can do.

Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

hi are you watching iplayer via BT vision or your pc if you follow the suggestions below we should be able to help you further

If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.
also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/
Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal
also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’