Beginner
Madmary

BRCM_TEST_SSID what is it?

Over the last few days I've lost my internet connections more times than I've had it, although I appear often to be online according to my computer and the lights are on on my router (BT HomeHub).  When I go to see if I can connect to a network sometimes I can see my network (sometimes not), but I also see an unsecured Network BRCM_TEST_SSID, and I suspect this may have something to do with things.  I cannot connect to this but seem to remember it being there in the past.

Anyone have any ideas and am I right in suspecting that my computer it trying to connect to this rather than my own.

I'm not technical in the least so responses in plain English would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Mary

Guru
RogerB

Re: BRCM_TEST_SSID what is it?

[ Edited ]

It'll just be an ajacent signal, perhaps across the road from you, someone elses network...

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

change your wifi operating channel to a fixed one thats got no other reported networks running on it, chances are after doing this you wont have the same problems.

brcm test sounds like broadcom test and would be the default setting for a wifi enabled router althoug i cant remember the make.
Beginner
Madmary

I don't think it is. It shows full strength and is insecure yet I can't hook up to it. I can see all my neighbour's connections btw. I can get on the Internet wired but not wirelessly. I think sometthing's wrong there.
Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

some routers broadcast dual network id's however if theres no subnet configured in the network then chances are the secondary id cant be used, ohh and its a tenda router, one of the cheap under £10 ones ebuyer was flogging last year, theres way to muh configuration for hte average user.

as for the signal the only thing you can try is locate the signal and ask whoemever it is broadcasting to switch it off.

hayburn

BRCM is for broadcom.... and before the router starts to broadcast the network its sets up a BRCM test signal. its just a test signal that the router broadcasts to check the router is working properly.... dont think its because of the low costing routers!!!
Aspiring Expert
wedding

Broadcom mke chipsets and they are fitted to many routers etc. Did not know that a test signal was transmitted on startup hayburn. In anycase I'd be surprised if such a signal was transmitted for more that a few hundred mS or a second at the most. This sounds as though something is not working properly on somebody's wireless router/modem.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!