Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
Accepted Solution

BT Dongle

We have a PC which seems to have a dodgy ethernet connection so it seemed a good idea to bring the BT Dongle into service which we have not really used.  Unfortunately it would only find the ethernet and not the wifi.  It was about 10 feet from the HomeHub whereas laptops which were 20-30  feet away and through brick walls worked perfectly.

Has anyone any ideas?

Malcolm

Distinguished Sage

Re: BT Dongle

If its the mobile dongle, then that does not receive WiFi, only GPRS, and 3G mobile signals.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you Keith for your reply.

It is the dongle that has the Connection Manager showing wifi, mobile and ethernet sources.  We bought it to connect to wifi hotspots at motorway service stations etc.  We have had a bit of trouble with connections in the house and were trying to see if the dongle made any difference, but it would only find ethernet, not even a mobile signal.

Malcolm

Distinguished Sage

that type of dongle need a 3g mobile phone signal it will not work in conjunction with your hub two totally different technologies i am sorry to say

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Guru

oakridge wrote:

We have a PC which seems to have a dodgy ethernet connection so it seemed a good idea to bring the BT Dongle into service which we have not really used.  Unfortunately it would only find the ethernet and not the wifi.  It was about 10 feet from the HomeHub whereas laptops which were 20-30  feet away and through brick walls worked perfectly.

Has anyone any ideas?

Malcolm

I think this is the type of USB wi fi adapter that you need:

http://www.ebuyer.com/232655-edimax-wifi-300mbps-usb2-adapter-ew-7718un?utm_source=google&utm_medium...

I have not used it and am not recommending it.

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Distinguished Sage

The BT Connection manager is misleading. It simply manages existing connections, if they do not exist within the computer/laptop, it has no way of knowing.

You are not the first person to be mislead.

Provided your SIM card is activated, the mobile BB normally works, but many people fail to do this, as it involves logging into BT and creating an account, and is a bit complicated.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor

Thank you all for your replies.

It certainly is not clear what BT Dongle is designed to do. Another gem to drop into the pool of experience. The Edimax product looks more the part. However, it dawned on me over Christmas that this problem had appeared rather suddenly so it could be that on of MS's regular updates had mended it worse, so I downloaded a new driver and all is back to normal.

Thanks again for all your help.

Malcolm
Distinguished Sage

Hi that is good new just shows the importance of regular updates being necessary

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.