Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

BT HOME HUB 3.0 - WIFI BOOSTER

Hello,

i live in a normal terraced house and we have the bt home hub 3.0 router.

My sister is experiencing slight problems with the connection in her room upstairs and she sometimes has to come downstairs to use the wireless connection...

is there a recommended wifi booster hardware that i can connect to the bt home hub 3.0 to boost the signals?

does the home hub 3.0 have a slot where you can buy a wifibooster ariel and screw it to the home hub 3.0 itself?

regards.

Distinguished Sage

Re: BT HOME HUB 3.0 - WIFI BOOSTER

welcome to the forum

you may find this post interesting  http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Inside-the-Hub3/td-p/159735

you can try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

you can also try chnaging the wireless in the hub from default b/g/n to just b/g unless all your devices are 'n' rated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

Thanks,

i just downloaded the istumbler

and it shows my channel for the home hub 3.0 is: 11

the signal strength varies from yellow to green - 40% - 60% (even though i am directly next door to the home hub 3.0...

Noise is: 13%

(is there any antennas or specific hardware wifi boosters for a n type router like this that i can buy? im more of a hands on than a techie type guy, so I would rather buy :smileytongue:

Thanks!!

Distinguished Sage

I use a pc so never seen istumbler but does it not show if there other networks round about you broadcasting on the same channel which could interfere with your hub's signal?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

[ Edited ]

it does show other connections... but those connections are on different channels... my connection is the only one on channel 11

EDIT:

actually, i have just looked at it now... there is another network which is on channel 11... (their signal is in the red/lower part)

is that why my signal is rubbish do you think...?

Distinguished Sage

ok

have you thought of home plugs where they connect to the electric socket - one connectes by ethernet cable to the hub and the the other plugs in your sister's room and then she can connect to her pc/laptop to the home plug with an ethernet cable.  get good reports - sockets must be on same electric ring circuit

just use the forum search facility as there numerous posts on the subject

do you mean my sister buys a plug for her room, whereby she can connect her cable to, to use the internet.

that plug sends out wifi signals to the main home hub 3.0, which is downstairs?

if i am correct?
Distinguished Sage

not really

home plugs are initial bought as a pair.

1 plugs into electric socket beside hub and connect to hub with an ethernet cable

the secong home plug is plugged into the electric socket in your sister's room and then the home plug is connected to the pc/laptop with an ethernet cable. the 2 homeplug sockets are paired and then your sister can acces the internet via the ethernet cable

Distinguished Sage

this may help explain better than me  http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=61

is what i believe is what i just said :smileytongue:

i have ordered it now... thanks for the verification!!!