Beginner
NLight

BT Home Hub 2.0 keeps disconnecting

[ Edited ]

I've had the Home Hub for quite a while now and I've never had any problems with it, in fact its been quite reliable, however recently it often loses its broadband connection only to reconnect seconds later, a process it repeats over and over. When this happens the blue 'b' light becomes a flashing amber colour then it becomes solid and finally solid blue. At the same time, the wireless and phone lights go off and come back on after a minute or so. So its seems that the router is resetting it self over and over again, losing its connection for around a minute. However this doesn't happen continually through out the day, for hours and hours its remained connected and everything seems to be fine, but then it will disconnect from the internet, reconnect, disconnect and so on for a while.

I don't actually think its restarting as I'm fairly certain my computer remains connected to the router as it disconnects and reconnects, and I also don't think it's a problem with my line. Its certainly not a problem with my computer as when the router disconnects, neither my phone, Xbox or laptop can connect to the internet.

I'd appreciate the help if anyone can give it :smileyhappy:

Expert
chris6273

Re: BT Home Hub 2.0 keeps disconnecting

It sounds  like your router is losing sync to the exchange. Please can you post your line stats in a different post so we can see if this could be the cause?

Cheers,

Chris

Like this post? Give it a Star :smileyvery-happy:. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
Expert
r1sh12

he means..

If you go to 192.168.1.254 (homehub manager)

Go into your settings, advanced settings>broadband tab>ADSL tab.

Then copy and paste all the info on that page.

Beginner
NLight

Oh I see, I'll delete the other post. Here's a link to my stats: Link

Expert
chris6273

[ Edited ]

You have a lot of FEC Errors on your downstream and a huge amount on your upstream. The CRC errors on your upstream is a firmware error. I'm not sure if that is the cause but it very well could be especially as your uptime was only an hour and 55 mins. The output power on your downstream is 0.0dBm which I think is the cause.

Is your hub placed anywhere near any likely place of electric interference or near any signal boosters/power supplies?

Have you also tryed to replace the Microfilter?

Like this post? Give it a Star :smileyvery-happy:. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
Beginner
NLight

[ Edited ]

Well the router is placed on top of a printer (as I'm using the router as a print server) and next to that is the phone, other than that there isn't any electrical devices nearby. The router hasn't moved since I first got it and like I said in the previous post, it hasn't given me any problems before, so logically I would assume that electrical interference isn't the issue.

I've just replaced the filter with another, but obviously it will take a couple of days until I can confirm it's fixed the problem.

I'm quite technically minded and I know a fair bit about computers, but I have to admit networking knowledge is a weakness of mine. I've just read up on forward error correction, but I can't figure out what the errors mean in relation to my problem, is there a way you could briefly explain it?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Expert
chris6273

FEC errors are errors which have been corrected by Interleaving. I'm not sure whether the amount you have is a good thing or a bad thing but normally its a good sign.

Is there any chance that you could try and reset your router? A recent update may have done something to your hub.

Thanks

Beginner
NLight

I've already tried resetting the hub back to factory settings, but it didn't do anything, which I guess could mean three things: the filter could be the problem, in which case hopefully the replacement could have fixed it; there's something physically wrong with the router which meant that a factory reset couldn't fix the problem; or there is something wrong with my line.

I've rule out the possibility that something is wrong the line due to the nature of the problem, what do you think, could it be my line?
Expert
chris6273

It could be something to do with your line. By the way, the new microfilter's effects (if any) will show up in your router stats immediately, so if you could repost an update on your router stats, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Beginner
NLight

Here's a link to the new stats: Link