Beginner
Robbie20
Accepted Solution

BT Home Hub 2 and BT Fon

I'm sure this has been raised before but as a new poster I would really like some help. My wireless laptop preferentially connects to BT Fon rather than my BT Home Hub, rather annoying when my wireless printer connects to the hub!!

I realise there is a help topic on site for those using XP but I am on Windows 7 (God I hate it and much prefer XP), I have tried looking in the W7 control panel but it is so different from XP I can't find my way around.

If I look at my Wireless Card map I can see my Home Hub along with 3 neighbours networks and 4 BT Fon/BT Openzone networks. The BT Fon and my Home hub are at the same strength so it seems BT Fon is being preferentially selected.

I don't really want to opt out of BT Fon for it would be useful on the move so I would appreciate a step by step guide on how to put my Home Hub on top of the preferred list or even to ask manually for BT Fon connection, in other words if someone could translate the existing answer for XP to W 7 I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Robbie 20

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BT Home Hub 2 and BT Fon

[ Edited ]

See this link http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12363/~/my-computer-connects-to-bt-openzone-or-bt-fon...

Win 7 is similar to Vista settings.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
Robbie20

Thanks for the prompt response, I did get this far on Win 7 but the options in the network were all BT Fon or Openzone options despite the fact that I did have the Home Hub connected at one stage, maybe it has dropped off the list?? can it be added manually?

Robbie 20

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Robbie20 wrote:

Thanks for the prompt response, I did get this far on Win 7 but the options in the network were all BT Fon or Openzone options despite the fact that I did have the Home Hub connected at one stage, maybe it has dropped off the list?? can it be added manually?

Robbie 20

You should be able to rescan for wireless networks, assuming that you are using Windows to manage your wireless connections and not the BT Wireless manager, which is best avoided.

You should be able to see your own home hubs wireless SSID, and then connect to it, You will get a prompt for the wireless security key.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
Robbie20

Looks like problem solved I'd personally like to thank those involved in helping a low tech old person like me, your help was invaluable.

Robbie20

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

I am pleased that its sorted :smileyhappy:

If you need any help with your BT service in future, please revisit these forums.