Beginner
sanduk1

BT Home Hub Ethernet Problems

Hi all, what a great forum!

Recently purchased a Freesat box, with ethernet support for watching BBC I Player, etc, from the internet. Came with plugs similar to BT powerline adapters.

As with a BT Vision box, plugged one end of ethernet cable into one plug, other end into ethernet socket on my Home Hub (Version 1, the one with just two ethernett sockets). Put second plug into back of my Freesat box via ethernet cable, and into wall. Switch on,  plugs recognise each other. Green data light on BT hub is lit, along with all the others, including the internet light.

However, as soon as I put  that ethernet cable into my hub, I lost my wireless connection to the internet completely! It's like the ethernet cable is overriding my wireless internet and cutting it off. And as soon as I remove the ethernet cable, normal wireless internet service is resumed!

Help! Has anyone got an idea what's occurring? Any fixes gratefully accepted,

Many thanks

SteveandDoreen:smileytongue:

Aspiring Expert
banz

Re: BT Home Hub Ethernet Problems

is it possible to plug the freesat box in dircet to see if it has the same effect ?

also have you tried a different cable at HH to powerline.?

Banz

Beginner
sanduk1

Yup, have tried different cable, but cables are brand new. Will eventually disconnect Hub, take it into other room and connect it direct to Freesat box with ethernet cable, but that will be a hassle, so delaying that one! Also, unless it is some kind of interference from the Powerline plugs, would the effect not be the same - if I carry hub into same room as Freesat box, plug it in direct to the box with an ethernet cable, would that not cut out my wireless internet in the same way as before? The plugs do look as though they are working fine, so I'm puzzled, because in the BT Vision manual it shows that you can put an ethernet cable into your hub and use it whichever way without any ill effects, so I'm wondering whether my Hub is faulty somehow, as I have had it for a few years (its the black version of 1.0) never had any trouble with the wireless internet through it, and this is the first time I've ever plugged an ethernet cable into it, and the connection drops completely! Helppppp........

kind regards

steve and doreen

Aspiring Expert
banz

sanduk1

No I don't think it is the same- I realise it can be a hassle but its perhaps worth it!!  What about plugging something else in like a PC??

Banz

Beginner
sanduk1

Hi Banz, 

You are  very kind, thanks for the advice. Well, went for it and dismantled the hub from the office, took it through, with ADSL filter etc,  to where the Freesat box is located, plugged it into the telephone socket, only to discover that it is only a telephone socket extension in that room! Worked as a phone line for the dreaded Sky, but the Hub was not playing with it,  and wouldn't connect to my broadband in there! The main socket for the broadband is in the office, took it back, fired it up, worked perfectly. 

Upshot, can't test your theory and would need Powerline adaptors to transmit data anyway. I still don't get why, when I plug that ethernet cable into the hub, it downs my internet connection. 

Thanks again, helpppp!

all the best

steveanddoreen

Expert
PheeragHfre

sanduk1 wrote:

Hi Banz,

Upshot, can't test your theory and would need Powerline adaptors to transmit data anyway. I still don't get why, when I plug that ethernet cable into the hub, it downs my internet connection.

Thanks again, helpppp!

all the best

steveanddoreen

Possibly poor RF isolation on the Plug Adaptor(s) have you tried switching them round, one of them may have better isolation when near the Homehub than the other one?

Also try to keep all your signal wires away from the Power Wires including making sure that the Homehub power supply is not to close to the Homehub itself.

Once rf type frequencies are fed through the mains supply, isolation becomes a key factor;  for both radio waves & direct connections. (tending to degrade broadband performance etc)

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
Guru
RogerB

Hi Steve and Doreen ....

Just be aware ....  that if you make numerous interventions into the broadband connection, you'll lose any performance you had ... and may find it slooooooooows down .....

Be careful with the disconnections ....   :smileyhappy:

Beginner
sanduk1

Thanks so much for all your input. Good point on the drop in broadband performance, will bear in mind. Think we're gonna get a refund on the Netplugs, and try something else.

Does anyone think a wireless ethernet adapter plugged into the ethernet port on the back of the Freesat receiver would do the trick? 

Thanks once again, you nice people!

steve and doreen:smileytongue:

Guru
RogerB

I doubt very much the Freesat box has the "know-how" and drivers to drive it ....  :smileywink:

Not quite that simple ...