Contributor
mfurnival

BT Home Hub Remote Access

I can't believe nobody has asked this question before but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Is it possible to remotely manage a 2.0 home hub over the internet? I know all about dynamic DNS services and port forwarding and that is all working OK because I can reach a http server on my internal network. But if I go to https://<home-hub-public-ip> then I can't connect. But from inside my network I CAN connect to https://<home-hub-private-ip>.

Has anyone done this successfully - am I missing a trick?

Contributor
JacobB

Re: BT Home Hub Remote Access

[ Edited ]

Wouldn't be worth it, IP changes. Dynamic.!    However, It is different when you have static.

I have never actually tryed it. As i hate the Homehub 2.0.....   I think i have done it on my belkin router. But i did that through some Hosting website, Or i just did a remote connection to my laptop. Easy enough. Eh.!

:smileyhappy:

JacobB
Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

This is deliberately disabled on the Home Hub. If you can log into the Hub over the internet, then so can everybody else!
Contributor
mfurnival

[ Edited ]

You don't need a static IP address, that is what dynamic DNS is for.

And other people can only login if they know the password. That is a bit like saying you should remove the lock from your front door and bolt it shut just so that nobody can get in - not even you.

jiminho

I have been going mad trying to get the answer to this, and there is an awful lot of tosh written about it on various boards.

Dynamic IP makes no difference... if you are using dynamic dns then the IP makes no odds.

Anyway, the BT home hub has a section where you can define the dynamic DNS, and this is specifically so you can set up VPN and the like... so I have done this, with the details I have created with dyndns.

Yet I got to either the home hub IP or the dyndns domain and I still get nothing... I have turned off the firewall of the router but no change.

I call BT and after talking to their (barely) trained chimps for about 2 hours I am told that in order to progress I need further support which will be about £30 for 3 months.

So basically BT are preventing users from using this feature until they give advanced support some cash and then they will help you set it up.

I am pretty disgusted by this... I already pay BT plenty fro my service and it seems to me that they are deliberately preventing this kind of use to make more money.

Contributor
mfurnival

:smileyvery-happy: You have got to admire BT for their sheer cheek! £30 for advanced support!

If you buy any ADSL router off the shelf they will allow you to manage the device via its external address - BT must have deliberately hobbled the router to stop people doing this.

For now I am giving up on this - I suppose the workaround of configuring RDP or VNC and then connecting to the inside address is possible but to me that poses a much greater security risk.

steviepee

[ Edited ]

Ok this is not simple but it works. I am using the Iphone, Windows 7 and the latest BT Home Hub 2 (the black one with the telephone attached) but I assume that it applies to all handsets/computers. Here's what to do.

1.  You will need to put a VNC (RealVNC; Tight VNC etc) programme on your computer. I use RealVNC but this costs money and I think Tight VNC is just the same.  Hope so!

2.  Now Google DynDNS and get a free DNS Host.  I am using Hobby-Site.org but I'm sure they're all similar. The site will guide you through the setup.

3.  Once you have these programmes on your computer you can now start on the Home Hub.

4.  I have an ordinary account so no special contract is needed.

5.  Open the web browser and on the top search bar type in http://192.168.1.254/  This will access the Hub.

6.  Go to Settings.  It will prompt for a password.  Enter yours and then go to Advanced Settings.  Click on the Application Sharing option.

7.  Select the "Select Game or Applicaton" option and find VNC and click on it. 

8.  Now, in the "Device" option select the computer you wish to access.  Do not select any other device that may be connected to the network such as "My I Phone" etc. This is a common error.

9.  Apply the changes.

10. On the Iphone get VNC lite free from the App Store. Can't help for users of other devices.

11.  On the Iphone launch VNC and go to the Menu Option to set up the connection.  In the VNC Server IP address put your remote DNS host name; it will be something like jobloggs.hobby-site.org 

12.  VNC Server Port will be 5900

13.  VNC Password speaks for itself.

14.  Now try to connect. 

If you have set it up properly you should now have your computer screen on the IPhone and connected externally through the Internet not locally.

Just as an aside on this.  When BT say you need to have a Business account I assume that they are referring to the need to have what is known as a Static IP address.  You don't need one of these when using DynDNS as its updater monitors your non-static IP and syncs it with the DNS host.  That's what it's for!

The internal network local connection should not be a problem.  You need only VNC on the computer and Iphone and, just on the Iphone side, need to type in the local IP address of the computer you wish to access (eg 192.156.2.60) and password to connect.

Hope this helps.

StevieP

Aspiring Expert
submarinex1

[ Edited ]

mfurnival wrote:

:smileyvery-happy: You have got to admire BT for their sheer cheek! £30 for advanced support!

If you buy any ADSL router off the shelf they will allow you to manage the device via its external address - BT must have deliberately hobbled the router to stop people doing this.

For now I am giving up on this - I suppose the workaround of configuring RDP or VNC and then connecting to the inside address is possible but to me that poses a much greater security risk.

think youll find its to reduce people from mucking up their own system since in x number years ive never had need to remote access my router, and i very much doubt anyone else has. your right though on off the shelf routers that is there, but thats because they are going to be used on all sorts different systems and setups.

if you dont mind me asking, why do you need to.

Contributor
mfurnival

I access various different things on my internal network and it would just be nice to be able to make changes to the firewall when not at home if need be. This is by no means an outlandish request - as I said pretty much every off the shelf DSL router will let you do this - I know for a fact that Sky Netgear routers have this capability.

I am not keen on the VNC solution though thanks for the write up - my rubbish DSL speeds means that VNC is a painful experience.

Aspiring Expert
submarinex1

idea of the bt home box's though is that you plug it in and it works and its pretty fool proof,  why not put your info into a regular router that way you can configure it as you need.