Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
MrG
Beginner

BT Home Hub - g & n wireless conflicts?

Have had a home hub 2 for a few months and has been very reliable and working well with a couple of iphone 3gs, a PC laptop, and and HP printer (all g network adaptors).

Since early January I've had a MacBook Air (n network adaptor).

I am now finding that when using the Mac laptop at the same time as one of the iphones, one or more devices drop their wireless connection and in some cases are unable to see the router and reconnect.

Is there a known issue with the home hubs supporting n & g devices simultaneously ?

Have tried help desk they keep telling me to change the channel - not surprisingly this seems to be making no difference!

Contributor

Re: BT Home Hub - g & n wireless conflicts?

i've read this problem before,

it's because the homehub isn't true 'N' or something like that..

best to stick with 'g'

macbook air's 'N' is backwards compatible with g so it will still work i believe.

else you could go and buy a new router.

MrG
Beginner

when you say stick with g, you mean change the router settings to run on g only, not n?

bit of a shame losing out on the performance improvement

prefer to buy a router that actually works - just wish BT would own up to the problem if it exists!

Distinguished Guru

802.11n is a very new standard, and there's a lot of kit around that is "draft-N" - they were based on early drafts of the standard.  There's no guarantee that all of them will be entirely compatible with each other.