Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

BT Homehub 3 light flashing pink/amber - BT engineer unable to resolve

I wonder if anyone can help.  About a week ago we suddenly started experiencing broadband (ADSL) connection problems with the blue broadband light switching from blue to either amber or amber/pink flashing.  Various fixes were attempted; re-booting, resetting (inserting pen into little reset hole), changing ADSL filter, opening phone socket and plugging cable into internal socket etc.

To put it into context, in a 10 minute period you get 1-2 minutes of successful connection before the hub broadband light reverts to amber/pink or just amber.  In short it is virtually unusable and completely frustrating.

Next step was to send me a new Homehub 3 which the BT overseas helpline were convinced would fix the problem.  Guess what?  It didn’t and the problem remained.

A a BT engineer was dispatched and visited two days ago. He checked all the wiring and in fact changed the box on the wall to one that has two outlets – one for the phone and the other for the ADSL cable i.e. so that no ADSL filter is needed.

He measured the broadband signal coming in and it’s strong and consistent.  He genuinely couldn’t work out why the hub is therefore not allowing the broadband signal through to the PC 80%+ of the time.  Again he tried resetting and unfortunately it seemed to be working for longer than usual at which point, thinking the issue had resolved itself, he left.

Of course, soon after he left we were back to the broadband light flashing amber/pink and just amber only for the majority of the time!

I will of course call the helpline again to arrange another engineer visit but wonder if anyone here can shed any light on the likely problem (as the previous engineer seemed to be struggling).  Is it likely that two Homehub 3’s would have a fault or is it something in the settings at the BT end?  Is it worth asking the engineer to bring a Homehub 4 to see if that fairs any better?

Thanks in anticipation – as you can imagine this is incredibly frustrating.

Distinguished Sage

Re: BT Homehub 3 light flashing pink/amber - BT engineer unable to resolve

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Pease make sure you use the test socket when doing these tests 
Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Aspiring Contributor

Thanks John - I'll have to open that link at home (when I have a connection) as the internet at work will not allow that link to be opened.

Distinguished Sage

no problem there is always someone around to help

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Sage

have you checked the driver for your network card is up to date from manufacturers website and not rely on windows update.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor

Sounds like an option - how do I check the network card and whether it's up to date?

Distinguished Sage

I would normally find it by using device manager or go to network and sharing centre and adapter then check for card manufacturer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor

Here's the screen grab:

ADSL.jpg

Obviously it's working at the moment hence I am able to post this.

Distinguished Sage

was it a manual reset or router dropping connection as connection speed less than 1 min  you have max connection speed for adslmax.  can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results - this will show rofile which should be 7.15mb

Aspiring Contributor

No - no manual reset - fascinating monitoring the screen captured above as connection switches between connected and no connection almost every minute.

Test results below - apologies for the delay - had trouble maintaining a connection

BT test.jpg

Have also attached a further ADSL screenshot if this helps:

ADSL3.jpg