Aspiring Contributor
AndyMc

BT Network Upgrade

I recieved an email about 2-3 days before the scheduled upgrade was to occur, it has now past that date and I have been told it may take up to 10 days for my line to settle back down.

I am having some difficulty and just need to reassure myself what I'm experiencing is normal, very often I have been getting a solid amber light on my BT Homehub 1.5, all connection is lost and the router needs a manual restart to gain any sort of connection once more, the times of connection are varied, the connection could hold for anything from 10 minutes to 1 hour, and again it goes solid amber. Is this something to be worried about or will my connection eventually resume normal stability? 

Regards,

Andy

Guru
RogerB

Re: BT Network Upgrade

[ Edited ]

Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum

The 10 day period you speak of is indeed required, its a period of time given over to line training, whereby your exchange dslam/msan is trying various configurations on your line, automatically, in an effort to see which scenario gives the line stabilisation, it's trying to achieve MSR, max stable rate.

I'm a little puzzled though by your comments about the bub light staying orange, and you having to reset the hub, because that should not happen, it should re-sync and update automatically, in line with dslam/msan conditions.

Do you know whether the firmware on your hub is up to date, or is your hub compatible with your product.

Clearly these are the first things to look at, if it is, you will need to get the forum mods involved in case the problem lies at the exchange end of things, and not the product/line/hub  configuration.

Check out hub info here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_catpage.php?p_sid=4Q5nSSVj&cat_lvl1=346&cat...

Aspiring Contributor
AndyMc

[ Edited ]

Yes my hub firmware is up to date to my knowledge (run the scheduler about a month or two ago). I have been with Option 3 with this Hub for a good 6-7 years so yes it should be compatible, but then again the exact specifics of the network upgrade happening were zero, there was no technical data regarding it, live in the Cheshire area.

I have had increased stability since my last post, has been good for 1-2 hours at a time since this evening. I left the router on the first time around, and after 10-15 minutes the amber light started to flash, eventually turned green. The second time this happened it I clocked it on solid amber for about 45-50 minutes, at that point I restarted the router and again it has been stable for a couple of hours.

Regards,

Andy

Guru
RogerB

In that case Andy, leave well alone, and let the line do its own thing, it HAS to do the training one way or another, if you get any further problems post back, I'd wait and see what the line training gives you for a stable condition. Leave hub running 24/7.

Aspiring Contributor
AndyMc

I dont want to get my hopes high just yet but I switched the filter and it has now been active, stable and constant for about 4-5 hours now. Whether the filter has affected it I'm not sure but for now I have access and alls well.

Regards,

Andy

Guru
RogerB

Fingers crossed you found something then....

When training is finished post your stats, we'll have a look. :smileywink:

Aspiring Contributor
AndyMc

[ Edited ]

Well it's been a couple of days now, the good news is my connection has been stable. The bad news is the connection had its good period and now for about 12~24 hours it has actually decreased in speed than what I had previously before this network upgrade.

I live in cheshire in a little town which is in the stone age of broadband, before this network upgrade I had a connection of about 2MB, during the first few days I had a nice increased speed of 400kb/s, which to me was awesome. Now its dropped to 1.5MB and a shocking download rate not even peaking 70kb/s.

Apart from speedtest how can I find out my current speed on my PC, 54.0 Mbps speed on the dongle makes no sense to me.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/738377111.png

Regards,

Andy

Beginner
buddyarrows

I had similar problems with the up/down grade as Before I was running at 6.5meg and after the upgrade and the 10day period I was down to 2.5 meg. After some lenghty conversations with bt and checking the line etc my connection was confirmed via speedtester.bt.com to be 8.1 meg but speed my I.D. profile was set at 2.5 meg. The I.D. profile was limiting my speed and bt have now manualy set it at 7meg for a second time.

It has took 3 weeks to sort this out and I recommend using www.speedtester.bt.com to check your avalible speed and I.D. profile. If your asked for a user and domain conformation try: bthomehub and btbroadband.com to continue with the test.

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

yeah dont use things like speedtest to tell your your speed, they only show the data rate of the download at the time.

the bt one shows things like the ip profile and sync speed, its also recorded in there data base each time the check is run so they can see our tellign the truth when you ring up to complain hence why it asks for your phone number.

it does sound like the filter was dodgy and that messed with your connection, the training period is normaly 10 days and if your highest stable profile was set at 2500 then it will have stuck with it for a few days before startign to increase (if the system didnt bug out)

the slow down during evenings and weekends are normal there down to traffic (aslo called network contention ratio) so whiolst your cabale of getting more due to congestion casued by number of users the system cant provide it all the time.

it sounds like since your inside the traiing period though things should improve providing you dont mess about with the hub (force resets or power it down) if after the training period is finished and the hubds runnign stble agaion at a good sync rate your profile doenst increas your options are email the mod team giving account details and a link to this thread or ring the help desk and pray you get someone who actually has a clue about broadband issues and how things are supposed to work (a lot of them seem to be fixed on a script)
Aspiring Contributor
AndyMc

[ Edited ]

Sorry for bumping this thread, and also sorry for not replying sooner.

Since yesterday my internet has been fine, the speed improved to what I had and is now at 3.5meg up from 2.0 I previously had according to BT Speed Test.. 

However yesterday I experienced some latency issues in the game World of Warcraft and on Ventrilo, the solid amber returned and tried to download a file from yahoo movie trailers and got a download speed of bytes, think it was at 848 bytes / second.

I tried swapping filters around, routers, currently using 1.5, 2.0 never had a great signal for me, always 1-2 bars.. and now for some reason even after a factory settings reset the router is never picked up on my connection utility.

On the green icon in the taskbar regarding signal, when I hover over it, it should be 54.0Mbps but sometimes when I look its at 5.5 or 1.0Mbps.

I've been tolerant with BT Broadband service, I've had so many issues with it since I've had it, so much that I don't have faith in engineers anymore who try to solve the issues. One put in extensions to solve the issue, another came later down the line only to question the work he did.

Once again any advice is greatly appreciated.