Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

BT Total Broadband CD

I upgraded from BT Total Broadband Option 1 to Option 3 a few days ago. I was bemused to receive a BT Total Broadband CD and User Guide in the post this morning. I already have the Home Hub installed, and the micro-filters, etc., from when I installed BT Total Broadband over a year ago. Everything is already installed; this is just an upgrade. What is the purpose of the CD and User Guide? Do I need to do anything with the CD?

Guru

Re: BT Total Broadband CD

I would say no to that.  You dont need the BT software to use BTBBand.  The BT browser and all its bloatware is being phased out, and IMHO BT desktop help is a lot more trouble for your PC than its worth.

Use it to put your coffee mug on. :smileywink:

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Beginner

Alan - thanks for your reply, but I already have the BT software, browser, BT desktop help, etc. as an Option 1 user. What is puzzling me is why did they send the CD? Does the CD contain software necessary to aid in the upgrade from 1 to 3?

I had an email saying

"Your BT order is complete

You should now have all the services included in your new BT package."

Does that mean that the upgrade is in fact now complete, or do I have to run the CD to finish the process? Does the CD contain software necessary for running Option 3?

Distinguished Guru

Hi Paul

As AQ has mentioned you don't need any BT software to be installed on your PC. I too agree that you would be better off without it.

Regarding the browser - have a read of http://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements/BT-Yahoo-Browser/m-p/29955#M33

I recently downgraded from opt3 to opt2 and wasn't sent or had to use any BT software (I have a BT CD). BT will change your email account to incorporate the additional bits n bobs. You may well find (as I did) that you will get a change of service notification when you try to log in to your BTYahoo email account. Don't panic (as I did) as any saved emails etc will be retained.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Beginner

Thanks DS, I can file the CD in the cupboard.

But now that I have solved that query, here is another about the browser. The instructions from Emma have me confused. I already have the BT Yahoo IE8 browser. She says that I should uninstall it, and then install the BT Yahoo IE8 browser! What does she mean? Why would I uninstall and re-install the same IE8 browser? Or is she referring to earlier versions - IE7, IE6, etc.? But if that is what she means why didn't she say so?

Aspiring Expert

[ Edited ]

i got my kit this morning, the cd contains software to operate the router, so if you have it then you dont need to do anything.

would need to check website but i saw mention of some browser thing being discontiued as if you should go to plain ie8 if you had it installed.

Distinguished Sage

Paul-R wrote:

Thanks DS, I can file the CD in the cupboard.

But now that I have solved that query, here is another about the browser. The instructions from Emma have me confused. I already have the BT Yahoo IE8 browser. She says that I should uninstall it, and then install the BT Yahoo IE8 browser! What does she mean? Why would I uninstall and re-install the same IE8 browser? Or is she referring to earlier versions - IE7, IE6, etc.? But if that is what she means why didn't she say so?

Bt yahoo did use IE6 and it was suggested you change to IE8 as they were no longer supporting the IE6 version.  If your browser is working then only worry if it stops:smileywink:

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru

I'm surprised they only sent you the disc and manual and not a new Hub. The hubs have only a limited guarantee (for the period of your minimum contract). After that, if it goes wrong then it's your problem.