Beginner
matt_sendorek
Accepted Solution

BT Wireless Connection Manager has disappeared

I used to use BT Wireless Connection Manager to manage my wireless connections.  Now I notice its system tray icon is absent and it no longer appears under Start -> All Programs.  Windows tells me it cannot configure my wireless connection.  However, its Wireless Network Connection Properties box has no Wireless Networks tab, so I cannot reset the Use Windows option tickbox.

Is anyone able to advise on how to get around this, please?

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

Re: BT Wireless Connection Manager has disappeared

which version ov windows are you using?

Beginner
matt_sendorek

I'm on XP Home Edition SP2.

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

when you open netwrok connections is the adapter appearing on the page?

if yes can you right click select properties and then check the settigns there, tick the use windows to manage wifi box apply and ok the changes then use the windows interface to manage the connection,

you could also upgrade to sp3 and all those other updates then re-install the bt manager whihc would mean your system is more secure to all the recent threats.
Beginner
matt_sendorek

I'm OK as far as right-clicking Properties for my connection/adapter, but then see only the General and Advanced tabs.  The Use Windows box is on the tab I don't get!  It sounds as if re-installing the BT WCM may be necessary.  Is that available as a download?

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

you could try emailing the mods and see if they can point you to a download location for it but i think the only place its available is on the cd that came with the hub,

if it came with an adapter then try searching for it in the bt shop, on the product page there might be the utility your after, only thing listed for the v2 hub is the manual.

Beginner
matt_sendorek

Pursuing the 're-install BT WCM' idea, I have now discovered that I can restore its system tray icon by clicking on 'change/remove' in its record listed in the 'Add or remove programs' utility of Control panel.  From this icon I can access the BT WCM.

This is weird and probably not entirely as it should be, but functions as a workaround.

Thanks for your help - I wouldn't have tried that without today's discussion!

Aspiring Contributor
AZIMOV

I had an update to the help desk a while ago and as part of the update it said that the BT WIRELESS CONNECTION MANAGER was no longer supported and that they now relied on Windows to do the connection. As part of the update they transferred the details from the BT connection Manager to Windows. However this caused a problem in that it did not get rid of the BT CONNECTION MANAGER resulting in a conflict between Windows and the BTWCM. I overcame this by removing the BTWCM and going into the Control Panel and selecting network connections then properties . select wireless networks and then select Use Windows to configure my wireless network. Under Preferred Network your Hub description should be listed. Click on this and accept and windows should then start your wireless connection automatically when you next switch on.

Hope this helps.