Beginner
jack1289

BT home hub 3 - Connecting using wps

My laptop has windows vista sp2 on it.

I connected the home hub to the mains supply and found the access point in the list when you go to add a connection.

As per the instructions on bts website i click on connect, and then press the wps button on the side of the hub. The wireless flashes orange on the hub, however abnout 30 seconds later is asks for the network security key.

What am i doing wrong? Also can anyone who has done it upload a video showing how it's done.

Aspiring Expert
syops

Re: BT home hub 3 - Connecting using wps

iirc only win7 (microsoft OS's) is capable of WPS. might be wrong.

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. :smileyhappy: ***
Contributor
proterra

Pull the little flap out of the top of the back of the HH3 and enter your key into the PC then its  written on that. Its to stop unauthorised access

Aspiring Expert
syops

[ Edited ]

the wps feature mentioned, is intended to speed up the process by avoiding manually entering your key. But you will have to do this (as above) manually in vista seeing as it doesn't support Wirless Protected Setup (edit: unless someone corrects me :smileywink: )

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. :smileyhappy: ***
Distinguished Guru
DS

Are you following the instructions in the correct order? - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32232

(Should also work on Vista SP2:smileywink:)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Beginner
jack1289

I have followed the correct order. One thing i didn't get is in the picture in the link you sent when i get to step 4 my  pc only has the top part of the box for the security key, and doesn't say like in the picture"You can also connect by pushing the button on your router".

As per my earlier post, could someone please post a video of the whole process, as that might be easier.

thanks

Distinguished Guru
DS

Hi jack

From the above link "However, if the Windows wizard does not appear as shown, it means your computer's operating system doesn't support WPS so you shouldn't go any further".

For some odd reason, your Vista sp2 install may not support this.....

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Contributor
dieselglider

syops wrote:

you will have to do this (as above) manually in vista seeing as it doesn't support Wirless Protected Setup (edit: unless someone corrects me :smileywink: )

Vista SP2 supports WPS. :smileywink:

Beginner
norecoils

Im on vista, SP2, mine supported it, Ive got hub 3.0 and this was last monday, just try the 2 wireless passwords on the little plastic "pull me out" bit, :smileyvery-happy: