Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
Accepted Solution

BT infinity cable between BT socket and modem - is it RJ11 or RJ45

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Hope you can help. I'm due to have BT infinity installed on the 9th Sept. I currenly have a master socket at the foot of the stairs, where a high quality RJ11 cable runs between the socket and my current DSL modem which lives under the stairs (where standard RJ45 LAN cable takes the service to the rest of the house).

I've been unable to find out for sure from what I've read so far, if the cable between the wall socket and the modem for BT infinity is the smaller RJ11 (where hopefully my existing cable can be re-used) or the larger LAN style RJ45 (and therefore I need to change it) and was wondering if someone could advise?

This is because whilst not a long run, changing the cable is a little fiddly and would like to do this before the engineer arrives.

Many thanks for your help.

Aspiring Expert

Re: BT infinity cable between BT socket and modem - is it RJ11 or RJ45

The BT chap will fit a NTE5 socket, as I understand it, this is not RJ11 compatible, then attach a cable that is slightly thinker and  looks like the usual telephone extension.

This will run to the modem (he brings it with him) then a RJ45 will connect to the Infinity Homehub.

This is how mine has just been fitted if it helps.

Ray.

Guru

Hi

The Openreach engineer will replace your main front plate with one of these

197i84C59A6884825403

The socket on the left will accept either RJ11 or RJ45, the right hand socket is standard telephone jack.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Aspiring Expert

i was wondering this myself, as i have 6 metres of RJ45 from the single entry socket to the computer room / hub. i was thinking of having to replace it. now i know i don't need to. :robotvery-happy: 

welcome to the world of last wednesday week.

there's now't wrong with 2 cans and a piece of string. at certain times, it is often faster.

Beginner

Thank you for your replies so far. Just to clarify it is BT infinity fibre optic broadband I'm having installed where I belive they replace the adsl v1.0 faceplate (which I currently have) for a different one for BT infinity.

Guru

[ Edited ]

Infinity is only fibre to the dslam out in the street .... (from an exchange msan)

Your "old" copper pair connect your vdsl modem, to the fibre in the cabinet.

All supplied info accurate.  :smileywink:

JDC
Beginner

Hi 

Just had mine done last week.

adsl face place was replaced by one for vdsl (BT infinity, fibre to the street, wire to the house).

David

download speed 37.6 upload 7.6

Expert

BT have a special data extension kit to connect from the master socket in situations like the OP's see http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13751/c/346. It seems these have better screening than standard to avoid interference.

Not exactly sure if you have to order one in advance or whether the engineer carries them and uses them where required. 

Aspiring Expert

from http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29023 Installing BT

Infinity in your home

The engineer may install a small data extension kit and some extension cabling within your home if needed to make sure your equipment gives you the fastest possible speed.

so he/she will bring it

welcome to the world of last wednesday week.

there's now't wrong with 2 cans and a piece of string. at certain times, it is often faster.

Beginner

In answer to my own question (now the infinity has been installed and excellent it is too...) The new vdsl faceplace takes RJ11 *and* RJ45 :-) In my case the engineer re-used the existing high quality RJ11 cable from my previous modem so no re-running of cables was required and made the whole job take less than half an hour for the engineer. :-)

The faceplace socket is an RJ45 which RJ11's fit by design. If the engineer had used a network extender socket this would have been wired to the faceplate with an RJ45 ethernet cable.