Aspiring Contributor
kates2787
Accepted Solution

BT master socket wiring query

Hi,

I've just moved into a new flat and been having issues setting up my broadband. My phone works fine in an extension socket in the living room but I cannot get internet there. I found another socket in the hall cupboard that said "BT" on it, still no connection so I unscrewed it and tried the test socket and still nothing. I have just found another socket in the master bedroom, this one says "open reach" on it, still no connection while the faceplate is attached but this time the test socket works perfectly.

I've looked at various previous posts re: wiring but I can't understand why mine is wired like this: 6 wires (white w/ blue, blue w/ white, orange w/ white, white w/ orange, green w/ white and white w/ green); as far as I can tell there's no pin 1, 4 or 6; in pin 2 there is a green w/ white stripes, in pin 3 orange w/ white stripes and pin 5 white w/ green stripes. The other 3 are not connected to anything.

This wiring layout seems very different to the layouts other people are recommending on this site and other wiring websites. Is there a reason why it has been done like this? Obviously I'm relieved I finally have internet but do I have to leave the faceplate hanging off now?! Is it simply a wiring issue or could the router be having issues too?

Sorry I know very little about this, been looking online for hours but just can't seem to understand it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Katie
Sage
imjolly

Re: BT master socket wiring query

does the sockets look like any of these  fibre SSFP.jpg    test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Expert
duncan10

Going by what you say it looks like you have two master sockets if you can unsrew the faceplate and there is a test socket behind each of them. It looks like Openreach didnt know about the socket in the cupboard and made another main socket / OR         the master socket was moved  but the ORIGINAL left in place BT stamp is the older one which makes sense as it is in the cupboard maybe  not used for BB  at the time. The line connections are 2 and 5  - connection 3 is for the bell circuit If both master sockets are connected to the line you will have    2 capacitors in circuit  only 1 is required.  The line colours arent the same as I used. blue/white/blue were across the line[2+5] Its possible that the sockets and colours, but I have the  original book of connections when the new socket system was introduced,- have changed since I worked for them but there still should be only 1 master socket.

Aspiring Expert
shirts

Welcome to the forum kates2787......

The usual method of wiring goes like this.......

The incoming bt line goes into a junction box, normally just inside where the line enters the property. The line then goes to the rear of your master socket. There should be no other line connected to the junction box. At the rear of the master socket there should be 2 wires connected, Blue (with white stripe) connected to terminal 2, and White (with blue stripe) connected to terminal 5. All of the wiring up to this point is the resposnibility of openreach and should not be touched.

Any extentions that you have are connected to the rear of the faceplate (which, in turn, plugs into the test socket). By using this method, your internal wiring can easily be disconnected from the bt line. 

Hope this helps.....

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........:smileywink:
Sage
john46

these links may give you some help http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html

http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
kates2787

Hi, it looks like the 2nd diagram as mine only has one socket at the front. The writing at the top is exactly the same as the 1st one tho.
Aspiring Contributor
kates2787

Ok just opened it up further. There are two separate white cables inside the box that is sunk into the wall. Both have the same colour wires. One cable (as previously described) is going into the pins that say "2, 3, 5" and the other cable has the blue w/white stripe wire going into pin "A" and the white w/blue stripe wire going into pin "B"?? Does that all seem correct? Is there anything I can do to make my broadband work through the socket on the faceplate (or even better, in my living room)?

Thanks so much for all your help.
Sage
john46

you need to remove the wire from terminal 3
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Expert
duncan10

The A +B you refer to are the old connection box and is the incoming line the old ones terminated on screws not  on the slotted strips with 1+2+3 one side and 4+5+6 on the other  which can be removed. This is so that hardwiring can be sotted into  the detachable part by using a Krone tool . THats the OLD way of working. Its obvious that the modern master sockets are different but not in the connection numbers=2 and 5 for the  line and  3 was on the removable strip. Its just you have old and new designs in your house . If I was there with you I could fix it in 5 minutes. 

Expert
duncan10

John--If there are two master sockets then 3 should be removed from the -second -openreach master socket. Not from the first-BT-  as that supplies the  capacitor circuit for bell and speech path[through other circuits in the phone] to any extn. I realise many modern phones will work with just the line and no -3-connection but that isnt universal. especially if they fitted a old 746  bell phone or bought an antique 300 type bakelite[both with modern plug cord].