Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Both upload and download speeds have dropped

[ Edited ]

I have experienced exactly the same issue. Both upload and download speeds have dropped on my BT ADSL line by about 25% towards the end of May 2017. The speeds now achieved are exactly as deefined by the IP Profile on the line. Somehow and for some reason the IP Profile has deteriorated and the line is being needlessly throttled. 

This has happened at least three times before but I found that taking the issue up with BT help based in India is a total waste of my time. Once I was lucky enough to reach BT somewhere in Northern Ireland who reset the IP Profile and even called me back to see if the issue had been resolved. That's service. 

All I want is the IP Profile to be reset, if not then I'm moving to 4G broadband which is 4 times faster anyway. 

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

Re: Slow down in May?

Your assumptions are not correct. BT do not throttle connections.

The IP profile is a pre defined percentage of the connection rate. 88.2% I believe on ADSL2+ services. As the connection rate changes, as does the IP profile.

There are many reasons why your connection rate, and thus, IP profile, reduce. Line faults, local interference, router fault/degredation, internal wiring issues or issues with a device connected to the phone line, faulty filters, faulty port in the DSLAM in the exchange.

Resetting the line does not resolve the problem, it merely provides a temporary solution, this is proven by the fact you've had it done mutiple times. What needs to happen is the fault that's causing DLM to take action and reduce the line speed in favour of stability, to be fixed.

I suggest starting your own thread if you would like some help.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Thanks,
"causing DLM to take action and reduce the line speed in favour of stability, to be fixed."
I'm not sure what this means but how do I progress this with BT?
0 Ratings

Re: Both upload and download speeds have dropped

Hi @neitherspanish

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!  I have moved your post to create your own thread as that's the best thing to do.

Sorry you're having problems with your broadband speed.  Now that your conversation is all in the one place, others will be along to offer you the best advice.  It can be difficult trying to get advice on an existing thread when there are 2+ conversations happening at the one time.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

Is your router connected to the master socket or extension?

Can you post up the connection stats from the router?

Can you put your number into here http://dslchecker.bt.com and post up a screenshot of the results?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings

Hi @neitherspanish and welcome.

If you can provide the details as requested by both @john46 and @Webby I'm sure we'll be able to offer some advice.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDavidM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Thanks,

Firstly here is a graph from SamKnows showing the slowdown in May. I have a SamKnows box monitoring speed 24/7

chart.png

You'll observe the speed drop from the high 7s to about 5.5Mbps. The Router is connected to the master socket. I have tried the Quiet test and I think that's OK, there's a little static.

Here are the connection stats from the router

upstream 1164
Downstream 6653
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.2
SNR Margin(Downstream) 2.4
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 20.4
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 40.5

Here is the Speed test via the Wholesale site:

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 18.35.50.png

And here is the further diagnostics page with the IP Profile

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 18.38.20.png

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

here should be no noise at all on the quiet line test

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Try a Search