Aspiring Contributor
QWERTYFREAK
Accepted Solution

Broadband Speed Halved (100kbps to 50kbps)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Earlier today, my internet connection speed randomly dropped from a stable 120kbps (1.2mbps) - 130kbps (1.3mbps) speed to 50kbps (0.5mbps) without the connection dropping or the router restarting. I live quite far from the exchange and the maximum possible speed my line can handle is 200kbps, but when operating normally, 120 - 150kbps is the ususal download speed I get.

A Broadband Engineer visited my property last Monday (21/10/13) after a 3 month battle with customer support at BT to get an engineer sent out as my line speed had dropped from a stable 130 - 150kbps download speed to a terrible 10kbps - 40kbps download speed which would constantly drop. The engineer confirmed that there was a fault on the line which was causing errors to build up, thus heavily reducing internet speed. After fixing the fault on the line and resetting my IP at my local exchange, he said that I should receive my usual download speed again, but it may fluctuate for the first 10 days, as if it was like when I first got broadband. As soon as I started using it, and until late last night, I had been receiving between 110 - 120kbps with no instability issues. However now it's dropped back down to 50kbps without the line dropping or the router being reset. I was planning to FINALLY re-install everything on my desktop as it's months overdue (postponed it due to terrible internet speeds) so this has really annoyed me as I was just about to start.

Now I do bear in mind what the engineer had told me, but I just want to confirm if such a drop in speed is normal? Or am I back to square one? I rebooted the router 3 times (which I regret doing as I'm aware tha exchange believes the line dropped when doing so - can anyone confirm if this will affect my IP or not, such as ever preventing my usual speeds being possible to achieve again?). The first time I rebooted, my speed was the same (around 50kbps download and 40kbps upload). The second time I rebooted, my upload speed was faster than my download speed (30kbps download and 40kbps upload), a symptom I had when the line wasn't working correctly previously. ADSL download speed should NEVER be slower than upload, so this is whats worrying me. When I rebooted for the third time, it's gone back to 50kbps download and 40kbps upload. Currently it's days 3 since my IP at the exchange was reset. I'm desperate to have at least 120kbps download speed, just for the sake of not having to weight days to get large files or constant buffering of standard definition videos. I'm not asking for great speeds, just bare minimum.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you

Guru
jac_95

Re: Broadband Speed Halved (100kbps to 50kbps)

Hi QwertyFreak,

Sorry to hear that your  having issues with your BT Retail services.

You will either be on the ADSLMax (upto 8mbps) service or if your exchange has been BTw 21cn upgraded you maybe on the ADSL2/2+ (upto 12/20mbps) service depending on your line quality and length.

However these upto speeds may not be the speeds you will get as ADSL broadband connections are very dependent on the distance from your property to the exchange and the quality of your line. The further away you are from your local exchange the slower your broadband speed will be.

To enable the community to help you please see the advice below:

Please see Keith's help guide here: Helping forum members to help you, it will go through some checks that are needed for us to help you.

A summary of the checks are:

1a) Is your router/Homehub connected by a BT NTE5 master socket, Adsl Filtered Master Socket or Extension Socket?   Please bear in mind that extension cables and extension sockets can reduce the broadband's performance. If you have an Old LJU master socket then please say.

1b) Have you tried the Test Socket? - if you have one.

2) Can you please run a BT speed test (including IP Profile) http://speedtest.btwholesale.com (not beta version)[Best done with a wired, Ethernet, connection] After Quick Test is done you need to click "Further Diagnostics" to get IP Profile.

3) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 ,called quite line test, from landline phone. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.

4) please post adsl line statistics 

ADSL Line Statistic Help:

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:

1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home

2) click Settings

3) Click Advanced Settings

4) Click Broadband

5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)

adslconnection.png

The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3.A firmware ending in 1.3)

or http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9118 (for bthomehub3.A firmware ending in 94.1.11)

You will need to copy and past all the adsl line statistics ( Including HEC, CRC and FEC errors). You may need to click " More Details"

If you have a HomeHub 4 then the majority of the ADSL Stats shown in the previous Hubs will not be there.

for HH4 users you can go to hub manager then select troubleshooting then logs and are look for 2 entries together which will show theconnection speed and noise margin for when your HH4 last sycned with the exchange.

There are more useful links on Keith's website here: If you have an ADSL connection, please select this link

Don't have a BT Homehub/Voyager?

http://192.168.0.1 for a netgear router and look for ADSL adsl statistics with information like noise margin and line attenuation, connection speed

• http://192.168.2.1 for a belkin router and look for ADSL adsl statistics with information like noise margin and line attenuation, Data Rate

cheers

I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong
Guru
jac_95

@qwertyfreak,

Also You may also be interested in this here: http://goo.gl/MNb8s

It's about providing superfast broadband for rural communities and to areas with slow broadband speeds.

Look out for your BDUK fibre broadband scheme and local government/authority government support schemes.

Diolch

I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong
Aspiring Contributor
QWERTYFREAK

Hello jac_95,

Thank you for your response. I am on ADSL2 (G.992.3) using 21CN at the exchange (details confirmed with the Engineer).

I'm aware of how severe the impact on ADSL speeds are with the distance from the exchange. There's between 6km of copper line between my house and the exchange and I have a line attenuation of around 70db. Very high, thus very low speeds. However, I know that the line is perfectly capable of at least handling 100kbps as past experieces have shown me.

1a) The Home Hub is connected via a Adsl Filtered Master Socket which the Engineer installed in my house last Friday (25/10/13)

1b) Yes. I had the telephone and broadband connected to the test socket for over a month and it made no difference. The engineer also confirmed there is no fault with my internal wiring when he was testing my line. It was (and I assume still is) an external issue.

2)

3) No noise on the line.

4)

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 03:32:26
Downstream:544 Kbps
Upstream:403 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.3 dB / 5.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):69.0 dB / 43.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):71 / 80
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):36 / 49
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 50

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Sage
imjolly

as you are on adsl2 your ip profile will automatically change immediately your conenction speed changes whether up or down.  your conenction time is only 3hr+ is that due to router dropping conenction or manual reset?

your noise margin is higher than normal at 10db as normal about 6db.  if you could get your noise margin down to normal then your connection speed would increase probably to 1/1.2mb which would give faster download.

if you are as engineer said in training again then you need to stay conencted until training complete.  if line stays stable with only router resetting for training then your noise margin should revert to normal 6db  if still at 10db after training complete and you have stable 3+ days connection time then repost stats and then mods will help reset noise margin to 6db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sage
john46

You currently have a higher than default noise margin this is reducing your connection speed providing yo can maintain a stable connection for 3days + then please post back your hub stats and then the forum mods should be able to help you with a manual noise margin reset
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
QWERTYFREAK

Hello imjolly and john46,

Yes I had noticed there that my SnR was above what it should be, but previously it was at 5db and still this slow.

The uptime is only 3 hours due to manual reset.

Okay then, I'll give it until the end of the 10 day grace period and I'll come back with the results. Thank you for your help.

Aspiring Contributor
QWERTYFREAK

Hello,

Just an update on the speeds:

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 12:06:50
Downstream:382 Kbps
Upstream:440 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.5 dB / 4.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):70.5 dB / 43.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):501 / 283
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):234 / 89
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 204

My SnR has dropped down to 6.5db and my download speed has now dropped from 50kbps to 30kbps and my upload speed is faster than my download speed at 40kbps!

This isn't normal. Can someone please enlighten me as to why it's doing this? It's totally unusable for anything other than light web browsing now.

Thank you

Sage
imjolly

hopefully this is just a training drop and it will recover.  you need to see out the training as the engineer said. with the drop in speed I would have expected noise margin to increase not decrease.  was it router dropping connection or manual reset?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sage
john46

with that noise margin i really cannot see any room for improvement and also the attenuation figure is pushing broadband service to the limits
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’