chris3110
Accepted Solution

Broadband Speed is far too slow!

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

Over the past week, me and my family have been experiencing very slow internet speed. I have called BT and it ended with me screaming at a call centre worker as he called me a liar. I really want to know why all of a sudden my speed has decreased so rapidly. We have unlimited quota so we haven't run out and I can't even watch a film on youtube without having to wait 20 mins for a 3 minute viedo to load.

If this issue isn't sorted out soon, I do feel that a new ISP will be needed as the customer service we have been supplied over the phone has been terrible.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

PS. I am currently downloading a 20mb file and getting 6.2kb download speed.

My ASDL Settings

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:19:57
Downstream:3.523 Mbps
Upstream:1.08 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.5 dB / 5.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):38.1 dB / 21.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.0 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):2339688 / 22
CRC Events (Down/Up):1 / 32
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 15
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

1 / 0

Sage
john46

Re: Broadband Speed is far too slow!

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://forumhelp.dyndns.org/speed/Speed.html

also post your full hub stats by entering 192.168.1.254 into your web browser address bar and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1

Can you also post the full results from BT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket   Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
imjolly

I would first try connecting to the test socket via a new filter and then post new stats

with your attenuation I would expect about 10mb connection speed with a good line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
chris3110

[ Edited ]

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.37 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 3.18 Mbps

I tested it in the test socket before I posted it, that is why the connection hadn't been on long.

Sage
imjolly

would it be possible to connect to the test socket and then post the stats as that will eliminate any problems with internal wiring and also just in case there is a problem with master front plate

your profile is new system and fine but download speed is low.  did you use an ethernet connection when you ran btspeedtester or was it wireless?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
chris3110

[ Edited ]

"I tested it in the test socket before I posted it, that is why the connection hadn't been on long."

I tested it using wireless as that is what I use everyday, the router is positioned in the centre of the house so everyone isn't at a disadvantage so ethernet is out of question really.

Sage
imjolly

your download speed was low but that can be down to a poor wireless signal hence why BTspeedtester ask you to make sure you use an ethernet cable when running the test

if you get an engineer callout then he will connect to the test socket and should that solve the problem then you will end up with a bill for £130 for the callout.

the test socket is your best connection as it eliminates any problems with internal wirung and is your direct connection to the exchange.  but the choice is yours

Sage
john46

Speed tests should always be done with a wired connection as there are to many sources of possible interference that can affect your connection
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
chris3110

[ Edited ]

I have tested it in the test socket - I have posted this twice now.

I don't see the point in testing it with a wired connection as I and all my family never connect by ethernet.

Sage
john46

[ Edited ]

the point of doing a wired check is to see if the problem is wireless based or not which is highly possible for the forum members to help you  we need basic checks running  because if there are possible wiring issues and the forum mods need to be involved they will need to see wired results as well