Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
Accepted Solution

Broadband keeps disconnecting

[ Edited ]

I have the Homehub 2 and it's just over 12 months old.The last few days it's been losing its broadband connection only to reconnect seconds later, a process it repeats over and over. When this happens the blue 'b' light becomes a flashing amber colour then it becomes solid and finally solid blue ,but the power and wireless light remain solid blue.This doesn't happen continuously all day and night.If i'm lucky i'll get constant connection for a few hours and everything seems to be fine, but then it will disconnect from the internet, reconnect, disconnect and so on for a while.

I've tried desktop help software,restarting the homehub.disconecting power for 10 seconds,checked wiring,replaced filter.Unplugged everything from homehub except main pc(which is connected via ethernet) and nothing seems to work.

I have had no major problems with the connection since i've had the box up until now.

Kind Regards.

Distinguished Sage

Re: Broadband keeps disconnecting

Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Aspiring Contributor

Thank you for your quick response.

I've just tried the noise test and it was silent(used corded phone)

Here are the results that you asked for,hope i did this correctSmiley Happy

I will try the test socket first thing tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:33:43
Downstream2,304 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)18.1 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)36.0 dB / 23.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)17.8 dBm / 12.2 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)11
Loss of Signal (Local)2
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)788617 / 2
CRC Errors (Down/Up)23595 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)6

Aspiring Contributor

I've had this same problem with my Internet since 12th November 2011. 3 Engineer visits and over 50 calls to BT and still im left with the problem. I messaged a mod on here and he just got ratty with me. He tried to say it wasn't disrupting my service when it was. Never got another email back from him. Im with level 2 faults department at BT and my problem is being monitored by some "boost speed team"???. They are just pushing me around to different people now and they don't know how to fix the problem.

Distinguished Sage

@nocky2004 ok let us know how you get on with the test socket the disconnections yo are having has caused an increase in your noise margin and reduced your connection speed once the line is stabilised for 3 days we can put you intouch with the forum mods who can reset the noise margin for you have a look through the link I sent as well ad the suggestions made do work in stopping disconections

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Sage

Eskiboy
Looking at your other posts it looks as if an engineer visit would be your best answer

The charges only apply if the fault is found within your wiring or equipment any fault found from the test socket back to the exchange is the responsibility of Openreach and is not chargeable

Try a Search
Aspiring Contributor

went to plug filter in to test socket only to find that it's not the main socket.The main socket is actually the other side of the hallway(right by the front door) so i can't use the test socket i'm afraidSmiley Sad

Distinguished Sage

ok that is a Pity as that would have given a direct connection to the exchange and that eliminates any possible internal wiring problems and would also remove any charges possibly made if an engineers visit is needed as it would show the fault on the BT part of the network not with your wiring or equipment

Try a Search
Distinguished Sage

have you checked to see if the orange bellwire is connected to terminal 3 on master and extension sockets?  if so I would remove it  http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/index.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor

i tried the link you posted but it doesn't seem to be directed to the correct page.

How do i find out where terminal 3 is on the socket?

Kind Regards.