Aspiring Contributor
kingshussar

Broadband power line adapters not working

Hi to all,

I am hoping somebody with a lot more techie knowledge than me can solve my problem.

I have had bt broadband for a couple of years, and must say its the best, and I have tried the rest. My problem has been with bt vision since I installed it 2 weeks ago.

My hub connected by Ethernet to a power line adapter is in the dining room together with my laptop, then there is a laptop in my sons upstairs bedroom also connected by Ethernet to a Power line adapter, so far, so good!

BT vision is set up in the lounge connected by Ethernet to the Power line adapter supplied with it and fixed straight into a wall socket?

The bt vision Ethernet connection goes straight into the back of the hub( in the dining room), the power line adapter fitted with the other end of the Ethernet connection goes straight into a wall socket.

Everything seems to be working ok for a couple of days then, my son has either no connection to the net or its intermittent, mostly its no connection to the net at all.

I have tried lots of permutations with the the various connections and no luck until I disconnect the bt vision adapter from the wall socket in the dining room (thereby disconnecting any on demand content I might want to watch.) The broadband in his room then starts to work again.

So my question is what can I do to rectify the adapter issue, and why is it happening?????  

Any help greatly appreciated

Geoff

Aspiring Contributor
Mordag

Re: Broadband power line adapters not working

So, are you saying you had a pair of Comtrend Powerlines working fine, then you added another pair of Comtrend Powerlines when BT Vision was installed?

This, and mixing makes of powerline equipment is not recommended.

If they are all Comtrend adapters I think the best thing to do remove the latest Access Point you have added and then'pair' the BT Vision End Point adapter to the original Access Point connected to the Hub. You will then have a spare adapter, just in case.

However, if they are different makes then the best thing to do is to sell the original adapters and buy a single Comtrend Powerline adapter (all done on a well-known auction site) so you can get to the 3 device configuration described above.

Aspiring Contributor
kingshussar

Thanks for the reply Mordag.

The original adapters supplied with bt broadband were Netgear, the adapters supplied with vision are as you said Comtrend.

The Netgear adapters supplied with broadband, one is connected into the hub supplying the broadband by Ethernet, the other one is in my sons bedroom and is connected to his laptop by Ethernet, hope that makes sense?

The Comtrend adapters supplied with vision, One adapter (Comtrend) is straight into a wall socket and the Ethernet goes into the hub. The other Comtrend is in the room next door and connected by Ethernet to the TV.

There are actually four devices, one Netgear to hub (for the broadband to my laptop. One netgear to my sons laptop in his bedroom.

Then comes vision, one Comtrend directly to the hub supplying the on demand content. One Comtrend to the tv next door in the lounge.

Hope this explains it better.

Are you saying that I should ditch the two Netgear adapters supplying broadband and replacing them with two Comtrend adapters, will this possibly rectify the fault with my sons connection problems. Sorry if I appear a little slow on the uptake, as stated I am not very much of a techie.

Cheers

Geoff 

Aspiring Contributor
kingshussar

Sorry again Mordag, You are right, there are only three devices, but I still need four adapters.

Cheers

Geoff