Beginner
Blaze11
Accepted Solution

Broadband slows down and then freezes my whole laptop

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help with a problem my internet. It seems have happened from a couple of weeks back so something must have changed to make it slow? It will slow right down to a stand still then I cant move so just have to turn the whole laptop off to a standstill which it just did as i was writing this message. I have cleared my internet history and cookies as the desktop help has suggested. Is there a reason why the broadband is suddently doing this? Also earlier this week one of the lights on the home hub was amber for the phone symbol so I reset it which didnt work then turned it all off unplugged everything and it worked.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks

Lisa

Expert
gouledw

Re: Broadband slows down and then freezes my whole laptop

[ Edited ]

Hi Blaze11,

Could you please tell me what browser you're using, what Opeating System and also whether you use BT Broadband Desktop Help and whether you're connected wirelessly or wired?  Have you tried clearing out your temporary files and cache?

And also please provide the details as per below:

Can you please post your ADSL stats by following this direct link; http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9116 << it only works if you have a Home Hub 2.0+ and remember to type your password in!

Also we need a speedtest just to have a look and make sure everything's okay? Use this link http://bit.ly/o8qqQ9 as it will also help you diagnose whether you have a low profile or something. Could you please also copy and paste the results from the White/Black/Green pop out page including your IP profile, DSL Connection Rate and speed achieved during test.

Beginner
Blaze11

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply,

I am Using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9. I do have BT Desktop Help and I am wireless. I have also cleared temporary files and caches.

I tried the link you gave me below but its saying Http 404 not found and gome hub is a 3D19,

I tried the link as well for the speed test but the webpage is not displaying.

Please advise further

thanks

Lisa

Expert
gouledw

Best advice anyone will give you since Einstein died, is remove the Desktop Help, you don't need it to get a working connection, and all it pretty much does is take over your computer, the amount of poeple complaining it took over their wireless.  If you remove it see how your computer works then.

Don't worry about the stats for now.

Have you tried changing your wireless channel? Try downloading INssider2 to see which channel is best one to connect to, all the Home Hub smart wireless feature does is change it to Channels 1, 6 or 11 every 24 hours.

Beginner
Blaze11

Thanks for the info I have removed  the BT desktop help.  For the channel details on Insider2 what should I look at to determine which is the best channel. I can see the channel numbers but which should I pay attention to?

Thanks again

Lisa

Sage
imjolly

look for channels that are not in use and also where the graph is low near bottom baseline.  your signal should be up about 50 on the graph

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
Blaze11

Thanks I checked and mine is running at around 54 so just must be something to do with certain website im in (ie facebook)