Aspiring Contributor
Lafaso870

Broadband usage meter for BT users

[ Edited ]

How do I use the broadband usage monitor?

What information is being displayed?
The monitor is designed to show you all the usage that has been downloaded and uploaded over your broadband connection for the current month. This will help you to see how much of your monthly usage allowance has been used and how much there is remaining. The monitor only includes usage which counts towards your allowance; traffic from services such as BB talk and the BT Vision video store, is discounted from your total.

The monitor also helps you to manage your usage by displaying three different views to indicate the current status your usage:

If the slider is green then, at the last update, you were within your usage allowance.
If the slider is yellow then, at the last update, you were within your monthly usage allowance but there is a chance you might go over before the end of the month.
If the slider is red then, at the last update, you had already gone above your usage allowance and you may be subject to charges as outlined in our Fair Usage Policy.
If you are on an unlimited product then you will never be charged for additional usage. The usage data will be displayed in blue for all customers who have an unlimited monthly usage allowance, subject to the Fair Usage Policy.

If you are finding that your current usage allowance is not meeting your needs, then you might want to consider upgrading to one of our broadband options with a higher usage allowance. To find out more please see; How can I increase my usage allowance?

How do I access the usage monitor?
You can access the usage monitor through your My BT online account at any time. In the product section of My BT there is a 'View my broadband usage' link, click this link to open the usage monitor.

When is usage information updated?
The usage displayed on the monitor is scheduled to update every 24 hours. To help you keep track of the updates, the time and date of the last update are displayed on the left hand side of the page.

What if I have more than one billing account?
If you have multiple broadband accounts it is important to check that the right account is selected in your My BT page. You can change which account is selected using the drop down list on the homepage.

Troubleshooting - Why isn't the monitor displaying correctly?

If you are having problems accessing the monitor it may be because:

You do not have a My BT account set-up.
The usage monitor is undergoing maintenance. If this happens we will display a service message informing when the monitor will be available again.
The service is busy. In the rare event that this happens a service message will be displayed to inform you. Try again at a later time to access the monitor.
The monitor is not displaying correctly. It may be that you need to adjust your browser settings in order for the monitor to display correctly. Alternatively the device you are using to access the monitor may not be supported. Try accessing the monitor from your PC.
Summary:

The usage monitor helps you to manage your usage by showing how much of your monthly usage allowance has been used and how much is remaining each month.
The monitor is accessed through the My BT online account. You may need to register for this service.
Usage is updated on the monitor every 24 hours.
It is important to make sure the correct billing account is selected in My BT to ensure the right usage data is displayed. The telephone number of the broadband line is displayed on the monitor.
There may be some occasions when the monitor doesn't display correctly, please see the troubleshooting section to address these.

Aspiring Contributor
bm47

Re: Broadband usage meter for BT users

We have My BT set up for the phone lines (we have two) but I have not managed to link the broadband to this account yet (I assumed that since we were going for a calls and broadband package they would already be linked).  I don't know if we should have a different account number but I have checked both phone numbers and we have the message 

"Sorry, we are currently unable to present Manage your services information"

on the Your bills and payment screen.

It would be useful to see what the broadband usage monitor looks like before we exceed our limits.  I would like to get more information out of BT concerning our broadband.  

Expert
hamish72

There seem to be a lot of forum posts with your exact problem but no so;ution so far :smileysurprised:

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Beginner
SteveD1

I am registered to manage my account online but I cannot find the 'View my broadband usage' link (I have been looking for a while now!)

Aspiring Contributor
emitsignal

Same here, I've just logged in again but ended up in the billing section, have tried searching but can't find it. 

Aspiring Contributor
mehtdosa11

hi  i've just joined the forums and bt for my broadband....i've been using the usage monitor a lot!

to view you need to go to bt.com, log in to my bt with your username and password.

when you have logged in you get the 'welcome to my bt' page.

scroll down the page to the second section called 'manage my services'

click on the 'broadband' tab the second from the left [the first one is titled 'phone']

in the left hand column under 'manage your broadband services' the second option down is

'view your broadband usage'

click on that and the page will switch to the monitor

Guru
Andy_N

mehtdosa11 wrote:

hi  i've just joined the forums and bt for my broadband....i've been using the usage monitor a lot!

to view you need to go to bt.com, log in to my bt with your username and password.

when you have logged in you get the 'welcome to my bt' page.

scroll down the page to the second section called 'manage my services'

click on the 'broadband' tab the second from the left [the first one is titled 'phone']

in the left hand column under 'manage your broadband services' the second option down is

'view your broadband usage'

click on that and the page will switch to the monitor

Hi.

I've got a slighter shorter route to the monitor via my shortcuts, option 14d.

It's worth pointing out (which I do on that shortcut), that not everyone can see their usage or get to the online system. As yet there seems to be no reason why this is the case. There must be some specific reasons, perhaps one of the Mods can take on a couple of these cases (as well as for people that can access their monitor) and try to get to the bottom of this problem. I expect it's some form of bt.com account anomaly.

Aspiring Contributor
mehtdosa11

hi andy,

thanks for you reply, some usefull links there..

i just noticed a reply you made to another post.. 

"suggested keeping a daily figure from the BT online meter, and I was also going to suggest that you perhaps look at the hub stats for up/downloads too."

how do you look at the hub stats? as i would like to know this info. accordibng to bt i've used 52.18gb since 4th november..

Guru
Andy_N

mehtdosa11 wrote:

hi andy,

thanks for you reply, some usefull links there..

i just noticed a reply you made to another post.. 

"suggested keeping a daily figure from the BT online meter, and I was also going to suggest that you perhaps look at the hub stats for up/downloads too."

how do you look at the hub stats? as i would like to know this info. accordibng to bt i've used 52.18gb since 4th november..

Hi again.

On my hub 2, type A - log into it, typically http://192.168.1.254/ or http://api.home. The Settings (enter your hub password). Advanced settings/Continue to ..... and click the Broadband link. I'm sure there's a simpler way, but that's how I do it (albeit infrequently). You then get a Data transmitted line giving up/downloads.

That figure may well contain things like BTVision access, BBTalk and other items that are not included in the overall usage.

However the hub stats will not be based on the connection time shown above, but possibly on a hub reset. I've not not really checked this, but other folk will know.

Expert
Geoff93

Another way on the HH2a is from the home page click on Troubleshooting then Helpdesk.  Enter password and line 7 is data sent received.