Beginner
leontaylor

Broken Home Hub?

After yet another lengthy and utterly pointless online help chat, then phonecall with the BT broadband help department I'm asking for some advice here .....

For over a year now, I've been having problems with my wireless/ bb connection. it happens like this:

My wifi connection suddenly drops - the homehub shows a normal status (blue lights with BB showing as connected), and my macbook shows that it is receiving a signal from the homehub, but when I try to reconnect, a "connection timeout" window appears immediately.   I can connect at these times using the ethernet cable. The wireless signal drop affects all wireless devices (phone (on wifi connection), kindle, ipod touch) so it is clearly not just my macbook. 

If left alone, even for 24 hours, the problem does not resolve itself, and requires a reset of the homehub to get the wifi signal to connect again. Having to reset like this sometimes causes the IP profile of my line to drop to ridiculously low speeds (135 kpbs last time) and I have to then go through the process of calling BT to get it raised again - very stress provoking). So I really do not want to be resetting the Homehub all the time.

I've tried setting the Homehub to automatic channel selection, and I've also tried manual channel setting, but the problem persists. 

The difficulty is, when I call BT, they just spend ages doing the same tests to either get the wifi signal connected again, or get my BB speed back up to what it should be, and there is no further action. They only seem to be interested in dealing with the symptoms not the cause and cant accept that this is an intermittent problem - expecting me to make a new help call each time it occurs. Last time I decided to make a formal complaint in the hope that this would provoke some action, but I got one phonecall (during the time I said I woudl not be available) and no further contact. 

So, the question is, does this sound like a problem with the homehub? if so, I might as well just buy myself a better router and have done with it. 

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Broken Home Hub?

Which version of the home hub is it?

I see you have tried a few things, which may be covered here Wireless Help

There may be a few things there that you have not tried.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
leontaylor

THanks Keith - it's a Homehub 2.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

leontaylor wrote:

THanks Keith - it's a Homehub 2.

They are usually fine. My notes were originally aimed at the home hub 3, which seemed to be causing most problems, however they are also applicable to the other home hubs.

I use a home hub 1, but use a separate wireless access point, and have turned the wireless off on the home hub.

This was mainly due to the fact that the home hubs wireless could not cope with streaming video and audio without interruption. Its just down to the fact that its not fast enough to handle all of the tasks.

Let me know how you get on.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
leontaylor

thanks Keith - I've had a look at that page of advice.  Its a bit technical for me, but I cant see anything there that would be applicable?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

leontaylor wrote:

thanks Keith - I've had a look at that page of advice.  Its a bit technical for me, but I cant see anything there that would be applicable?

Well its just putting together all of the possible wireless issues in one place.

If you have tried all of my suggestions, apart from perhaps changing to static IP adresses, which can be difficult sometimes,

then maybe there is an intermittent fault with the home hub.

You are free to use your own modem/router instead of the one that BT supply, especially if you do not use Broadband Talk or a hub phone.

The router has to be suitable for ADSL lines, (supporting PPPoA). There are plenty of other people using different ones.

If you really need to keep using a home hub 2, then they are still available for sale.

overthehill

Hi

your experience is just like mine except i have a HH3.

I have given up contacting BT as it only wastes my time.

However I have noticed that its only my Apple products that are affected - Imac, Ipad, iphone.

my daughters laptop works ok

do you think BT is working for microsoft :smileyhappy:

Sage
john46

Both my self and my next door neighbour use Apple product myself on a HH3 and they use a HH2 all with no problems and never have had any i know many other apple and windows users the same
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
SE30

Hi, I don't know if this helps. Have you got BTFon enabled? After many months of getting dropped wireless with my Macs and iphones, and unable to do file sharing between computers,  I noticed that within the settings of the HH2 my devices were not being detected. Although I was on the wireless and interrogating the HH2, it did not seem to think that the very machine was connected to the HH2. On disabling BTFon all the issues disappeared. It wasn't that the computers were trying to connect via Fon, they were set to connect to the router and this showed up on the Mac network panel as being so.

Another option is to set the router to give the same ip address to each device. I have found that this tends to avoid any conflict with iphones.