Aspiring Contributor
TheCuriousEgg

Bt Broadband download speed really slow

[ Edited ]

Hi, I got bt broadband maybe a month ago and I knew from the start that i wouldn't get 11mb/s which was the estimated speed but i presumed i'd get at least a 1mb/s instead I have 100kb/s at max which I find to just not be enough, it took me 13 hours to download one game for myself (The game itself not huge in size) and I was just curious whether there is anyway to fix this or if there is anyone i can talk too etc any help would be great thanks! 

Sage
john46

Re: Bt Broadband download speed really slow

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://forumhelp.dyndns.org/speed/Speed.html

also post your full hub stats by entering 192.168.1.254 into your web browser address bar and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1

Can you also post the full results from BT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket   Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
TheCuriousEgg

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:02:42
Downstream:1.123 Mbps
Upstream:444.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.0 dB / 12.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):24.2 dB / 14.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.7 dBm / 9.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 32

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.93 Mbps

0 Mbps1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.93 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.01 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.32 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.32Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Your speed should be about 18688Kbs, so something within your internal wiring is severely restricting the bandwidth.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
john46

have you tried connecting to the test socket as something is holding your connection speed back and it could be internal wiring that is why checking at the test socket is important your connection speed should be around 18mb
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
TheCuriousEgg

Plugged into the test socket and no change from what I can see 

Sage
john46

could you please post the hub stats from the test socket please
Aspiring Contributor
TheCuriousEgg

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:01:54
Downstream:1.123 Mbps
Upstream:444.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):9.2 dB / 13.3 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):23.3 dB / 13.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.3 dBm / 9.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):22 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 32

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

How does your phone line come into your house, are there any other terminal blocks before your master socket?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
john46

there is defiantly a wiring problem somewhere holding your speed back