Contributor
forester
Accepted Solution

Can extension and main 'phone socket be swapped over ?

In the hallway is the main incoming BT socket, a white box with the horizontal line across and the removable lower cover-single socket/plug for the downstairs 'phone. A few years back now a BT engineer came to connect an extension to the upstairs study. This was wired into the top/back of the main box and into the 'covered' section.

I would like to know if it would be possible to have the cables reversed-the downstairs 'phone to be on a wired- in extension and the current extension to become the main socket making the upstairs line the main one ?

I will get a telecoms engineer to do this but wanted to be sure it was possible before getting quotes.

Hope that this makes sense.

Cheers and thanks

Forester

Expert
jjgraphics

Re: Can extension and main 'phone socket be swapped over ?

It is technically possible, but it must be done by a BT engineer as you will need to disturb the connection from the BT line from outside to achieve this.

Contributor
forester

Thanks jjgraphics, to my simple mind I expected it to be possible. Now I realise that this is a BT forum so does anyone have any idea of an engineer call out charge from BT and the cheeky bit !--does it HAVE to be a BT engineer ?

Thanks

Forester

Expert
jjgraphics

Yes, it must be a BT engineer or you are breaking the law. I believe the call out is £120.00, but to be certain contact BT sales.

Contributor
forester

Thanks again, that clears that one up.

Cheers

Forester
bfg
Aspiring Expert
bfg

As jigarphics advised it is possible to re locate a main socket and then an extension (where the main socket used to be) but this would only be done via a chargeable visit. The main socket is only rented from BT so any work carried out on it must be done by a BT Openreach engineer (it would break your contract with BT to use a non BT telecoms engineer and any further work carried out bt BT Openreach would probably result in a chargeable visit to 'reset' the main socket, so only if you have a fault or need to a future visit from Openreach). The current call out charge for a BT Openreach engineer is £127.99.

gemjuno

A BT engineer came in to repace old hub with new Infinity hub this Thursday. The main socket is located near the front door. Old hub was connected in upstairs study. Now new hub is installed downstairs and I use wired connection in my room. When the engineer was here he suggested to use homeplug connection between hub and my room. The plugs were fine until today but now one of them had stopped working and flashing red in all three indicators. I tried to connect to old extension that used to work fine with old hub but it seemed not suitable for new hub. DSL light on modem is not lit. So if I want to move Infinity hub to upstairs do I have to pay call out charge?

Regards

Aspiring Expert
MarkV

First off, I'd try simply resetting the Homeplugs (there's usualy a reset button/hole).
If that doesn't work, it's probably failed and you should be able to get it replaced under the garuantee.

To achieve what you want, and reverse the sockets is possible; I had it done (old ADSL, not Infinity, but that shouldn't matter).

It is only possible if the cable used to add the extension is suitable.

What the BT engineer will do is rewire so the 2 wires coming into the house go directly along the extension cable to the 'new' Master socket upstairs. Then they will use another pair of wires within the same cable to bring the signal back to the new extension socket downstairs.

This works provided the cable has enough cores.