djsims2

Can you disable the bt fon hotspot?

Am new to BT broadband, and just after i plugged it in ect it came up with bt fon and openzone as a network. I know about the whole [stupid] bt fon thing. It has been about a week since i 'opted out' [since when did i even opt in!?] will it disable soon, theres no option to disable it manually [i dont know why]

Please Help, would rather not have some people using some of my bandwith

Thanks

Expert
ComputerGeek

Re: Can you disable the bt fon hotspot?

Yep, you can, goto www.btfon.com, login with your primary BT email address and password and de-register!

cg

CG Over An Out
Aspiring Expert
peterwt

From some date a while ago BT decided all new Broadband customers would be automatically "opted in" to Fon.

Peter
Distinguished Guru
DS

djsims2 wrote:snip It has been about a week since i 'opted out'

Try again using the link that cg gave. Does it show you as 'opt in' or 'opt out'?

I recently opted out for my own reasons (temporary) and didn't have a problem (this time) - it took 24 hours for the hub to show I was opted out but can take upto 48 hours.

[since when did i even opt in!?]

All new and recontracting customers are automatically opted in

theres no option to disable it manually [i dont know why]

Once you are definatley opted out the facility to turn your own wireless on and off 'magically' reappears in the home hub manager.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Contributor
Rockintone

Hi,

I to opted out of Fon via the web site about 7 days ago but my home hub is still showing me as an open hotspot.  I read somewhere that you need to reboot your homehub for this to take effect but I am still on my first 10days of my broadband so leaving it connected for the moment.

Can anyone advise if a reboot (hard not soft I think) is required to fully disable Fon?

jh1
Aspiring Contributor
jh1

Hi :

I am having the same issue trying to de-activate bt fon.

A hard reset will switch it off once you have registered to de-activate it.....but it appears that it will re=activate again automatically when the system does a service check. Have raised a seperate issue on this awaiting replies...

jh1
Aspiring Contributor
jh1

Hi All:

Just a quick update and news on how to get BT FON disabled.

I raised a complaint on BT.com about BT FON being automatically enabled and BT emailed back saying that they had manually disabled it . Been over a week now and it's not been re-enabled so it looks like they can do it manually.

Aspiring Expert
Eamdad

It can be done manuallly, give them a call. Should be quick and easy :smileyhappy:

Usually what should happen is that over night you should recieve a different firmware through your hub disabling the fon/openzone and restart. Im guessing djsims2 they didn't send the update as they didn't want to disrupt the 10day period.
kc1
Aspiring Contributor
kc1

This page: http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958

says:

To opt-out of BT FON simply follow the steps below:

-  Go to www.bt.com/btfon
-  Click on the Check Status link on the left of the page
-  Enter your @btinternet.com email address and password and click 
   on the Check Status button
-  Scroll down to the opt-out section.
-  Enter your @btinternet.com email address and password again 
   and click Send

You will then see a notice confirming that the opt-out request has been accepted. Please follow the instructions in this message

Trouble is, my hub won't let me connect to those pages and when I try to connect "Manage BTFon service" from the button on the hub page", my browsers can't connect to: "https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon"

What a croc.

kc1
Aspiring Contributor
kc1

jh1 wrote:

A hard reset will switch it off once you have registered to de-activate it.....but it appears that it will re=activate again automatically when the system does a service check. Have raised a seperate issue on this awaiting replies...

The opt-out confirmation page apparently says:

"Please make sure you leave your Home Hub on for 48 hours
so your BT FON hotspot can be disabled."