Aspiring Contributor
zanuck
Accepted Solution

Changing Wireless Key WPA2 and Changing Wireless Network Name (SSID)

Just installed my HH2 today - much more straightforward than I remember with the HH1 (white one).

I want to change the Wireless Key from the one that comes with the HH, and somewhere in Help is a statement recommending that you do so every so often.

I've been into the Hub Manager and to Advanced Settings and to Wireless, and found a Security page, which displays the original pre-set key, I can overtype this with the one I want to use, but when I click Apply, I get a new screen with a warning and red exclamation mark telling me that it is dangerous to change the settings (or words to this effect).

I went ahead anyway and after about 2 minutes the blue refresh bar on my IE8 browser (bottom of screen) froze halfway along. I then had a HH which appeared to be in limbo, I tried the reset push button but the HH wasn't recognised by my laptop; tried restarting laptop, HH still wouldn't give me a WiFi connection, so I used a paperclip and reset to factory defaults.

I'm back in business again but with the original wireless key that came with the unit.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong? Should I expect my browser blue bar to freeze for a while, was I too impatient?

Second question, and I haven't tried this yet, can I change the network name (SSID) from the preset BTHomeHub2-XXX1to a friendly name?

I notice that my near neighbours have friendly names for their broadband service - although I don't know if they are on BT BB or cable or another ISP - I see a couple of other BT BB HomeHub networks nearby too.

If you've got this far - many thanks.

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Re: Changing Wireless Key WPA2 and Changing Wireless Network Name (SSID)

You haven't mentioned changing the wireless key on the laptop. If you change the key on the home hub, you will need to reset the wireless connection on the laptop and re-connect with the new key.
Aspiring Contributor
zanuck

Ectophile wrote:
You haven't mentioned changing the wireless key on the laptop. If you change the key on the home hub, you will need to reset the wireless connection on the laptop and re-connect with the new key.

I took that as read, and hoped others would too...........

It was a new HH, so for my first connection with my personal laptop and shortly after with my work laptop, then shortly after that with my daughter's laptop; I had to enter a new key on each laptop to match the one supplied with the HH.

My question is how do I change the key on the hub?

Aspiring Expert
Oddius09

Connect to your HH interface then Settings(pw protected)/Advanced/Wireless/Security/WPA Encryption Key.

Aspiring Contributor
zanuck

Oddius09 wrote:

Connect to your HH interface then Settings(pw protected)/Advanced/Wireless/Security/WPA Encryption Key.

Oddius09

Thanks for replying.

Do you mean connect to the HHi nterface via an RJ45/ethernet cable rather than wirelessly, then make the changes?

Because I followed the route you describe, when I had my first attempt at chainging the Key, except  that I was connected via Wifi and it all seemed to freeze (as described in my OP)

Z

Aspiring Expert
Oddius09

[ Edited ]

Once you changed the passphrase in the HH you'll need to give you adapters the same passphrase and you should be able to reconnect. You'll only need to connect via ethernet cable if you mess up or need a copy of the passphrase if you forgot to save it elsewhere.

Expert
Daniel

I would always recommend connecting to an Ethernet cable before attempting the change it is just a lot less bother that way. I.e You don't have to quickly type in the new code in the wireless connections on your computer. Once done set the wireless up from scratch with new code used. A lot less bother this way. (In my opinion anyway)

Aspiring Contributor
zanuck

Daniel

Thanks very much - I connected via RJ45 from my desktop PC, applied the change, it took no time at all.

My initial problem must have been trying to make the change from my laptop that was connected wirelessly to the hub.

Best regards - Z 

Expert
PheeragHfre

[ Edited ]

A safety tip when setting up any Wifi Router.

Remember that the Wireless is almost always set as on with no encryption by default.

Make sure you connect via ethernet & as soon as you switch on log onto the router, switch off the wireless & reboot the router.

Log back into the router make all the changes you possibly can, especially the wifi security settings(if possible) & then switch the wireless back on.

This will make it almost impossible to eavesdrop or hookup through the unprotected wifi before it has been secured.

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)