Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

Configuring a new router

[ Edited ]

Just installed a TP-Link Archer VR600 to replace my old Draytek router.

It seems to be correctly configured now, after some menu searching and so on.  It is set up for ADSL2+ but there is no way to know if it is observing the G.992.5 protocol.  I am assuming that, as the router knows it's BT, it also knows the correct protocol for ADSL2+

I do have some extra settings available:

By default Annex A is selected but there are options to select either Annex M or Annex A/L/M

Bit Swap is enabled and SRA is not enabled by default.  Are there are any changes that would improve my broadband performance?

Current upload is 911kbps, SNR 6.3, Attenuation 15.9

Current download is 8687kbps, SNR 9.1, Attenuation 29.5

On the previous router, download was broadly comparable, 8920 / SNR 8, for around the past three weeks but for a long time previously was significantly better at 10500 / SNR 5, for well over 7 weeks.  It has been even better in the past but for some reason the SNR seems to be stuck well above the notional 6.

Bear in mind that this is an "Exchange line" so higher speeds remain but a dream unless and until they fit a cabinet somewhere along the line.

Any thoughts?

Alan
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Re: Configuring a new router

all the resets involved has caused the DLM to increase the noise margin just maintain a stable connection and given time the DLM will reset the noise margin automatically

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Yes, I am aware if the so-called "learning time but, from my observations this just does not happen.

Consider, from March 25 to May 19, (56 days) download was 10456, SNR 6.  Never changed.

Then, from May 25 to June 16, (28 days), download was 8921, SNR 8.  Never changed.

Over this period there were several changes of IP address, as seems, over the years, to be normal, but other than that nothing else changed.

From May 17 -  download 8872, SNR 9

Based on the evidence it seems that any "learning" is unlikely to happen and that the SNR is stuck at around 8 - 9 thus giving me unnecessarily slow speeds.

Previously I have had constant speeds around 10000 -10500 SNR 6, so something seems rather odd, to my untutored eye.

Is there any way to have the SNR reset without waiting for a "learning" reset that may well never happen based upon my recent experiences.

Alan
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

I have asked a forum moderator to help you they will post their contact link here

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Thank you, much appreciated

Alan
0 Ratings

@Alanrf on some connections the target SNR is 9db and this may be the case with yours but we'll be happy to check things over if you send in your detail. You'll see the click here to contact the mods link if you click my username.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Thak you.  The following screnshots may be helpfulL

The router screens show performance at 13 May, 17 June and 18 June repectively

The BT Speedchecker screens show performance at 14 May, 11 June and 18 June respectively.

DraytekScreen_170513.jpg

DraytekScreen_170617.jpg

ArcherScreen_170618.jpg

DraytekBTSpeedtest_170514.jpg

DraytekBTSpeedtest_170611.jpg

ArcherBTSpeedtest_170618.jpg

Alan
0 Ratings

Thanks for taking my call today @Alanrf.

I'm glad I was able to get this sorted for you. Post back if you have any other problems and we'll be happy to help.

All the best

David

Community ModeratorDavidM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

David,

Thanks for your help in resolving this issue.  Especially, thanks for your courtesy and understanding during our phone calls.

Much appreciated!

Alan
0 Ratings

My pleasure @Alanrf

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDavidM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”