Aspiring Contributor
DEvans
Accepted Solution

Connecting NAS(Drobo) to HomeHub3 not working.

Hello,

I have just had BT Infinity set up and had a Drobo ready to go aswell. I could not however get the Drobo software to recognise that the Drobo was connected when plugged into the HomeHub3. I subsequently set up the Drobo via the PC and then re-plugged it into the router and now I can see it as a device on my network via windows under "Network" but it still will not connect to the Drobo Dashboard (which is essential to use the Drobo for anything beyond and eternal HDD).

The Drobo site suggests that when this happens it is due to ports neccessary for the Dashboard to operate being blocked, and I am aware that there is some sort of blocking going on by the HH3 but it does not provide an advanced enough interface to even begin trying to configure these ports.

Has anyone had any luck setting up a nas with the HH, especially the Drobo. Otherwise could anyone advise me the best router to replace the HH3, as it would benifit me to have somthing which I could control to some extent.

Regards 

Aspiring Contributor
DEvans

Re: Connecting NAS(Drobo) to HomeHub3 not working.

Anyone got any ideas?

Expert
raymie67

I Don't have a HH but with the lack of other replies.....

firstly I am unclear if you are having issues within your local network or if you are trying to use the NAS features externally via the internet.

If internal issue then make sure that you have configured the NAS in the correct subnet and have connected it via a ethernet cable (not a usb one).

The defaults for HH are as I understand it

Gateway 192.168.1.254

subnet mask 255.255.255.000

Static ip address 192.168.1.xxx (where xxx is between 001 and 253)

Obviously if you use DHCP then you don't need to do that but I would be somewhat suprised if you set a NAS to use DHCP and kept risking the IP address changning (although if you access it via the netbios name only then that is not a issue probably).

if it is an external issue then you want to go a google on port forwarding for the HH, I would think that there are many detailed guides.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
DEvans

The drobo is on a home network, plugged in via ethernet to my homehub and I am trying to access it on the wireless network via my PC. 

I was using DHCP simply based on the suggestion from the Drobo site that it should be plug and play, I have just followed your suggestionand set the Drobos network setting manually but with a simmilar outcome. The Drobo shows up as a network drive but will not connect to the Drobo Dashboard. This is important for every feature the Drobo has so I am at a bit of a loss. I think I am going to buy a cheap cable router and try that out, atleast if that produces the same results I will be able to rule out the homehub as a cause, but as it is it seems to me that it must be at fault.

I should also note that after I changed the settings as you suggested the device does not show up as a connected device in the HH3 control panel. Which is odd, as I can see it as a netowrk device on my PC, so it is clearly connected. Thanks for the help tho, it was woth a try, I know its basically impossible for you to offer advice past what you have already as you dont have the HH to know the ins and outs :smileysad: 

Aspiring Contributor
DEvans

Just to add to this, it appears that after I disconnect the Drobo from the HH3 and plug it back into my PC the network settings have vanished with the eroor "there was a problem loading your previously saved network settings". 

Expert
raymie67

The HH3 may just be showing DHCP usage and not all connected devices, my router has a page for that for example.

Ok so there are are a couple of other questions to answer now.

Firstly, this dashboard thing, I assume you are basically referring to the NAS's admin pages? ie it is a http or https link? if so then

- Does it work on either machine or only fail to work on the wirelss one.

- Have you tried replacing the NAS name with the static Ip address?

- Can you ping the IP address from either machine? (dos command prompt and type ping {ip address}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
DEvans

Disregard the above post, was just because I didnt shut down properly before unplugging the Drobo, it still didn't work regardless of properly unplugging.
Aspiring Contributor
DEvans

[ Edited ]

Hi, The Drobo has its own software which is called "Drobo Dashboard" you install it on your PC/MAC (pc here) and it should detect the Drobo when you plug it into your router.

Drobo pride themselves on a "easy setup" it 'should' be a case of plugging it into your router and it just working, these are the only instructions Drobo provide to get your NAS working and there is surprisingly little further information on the interwebs.

If I connect the Drobo directly to the PC via ethernet it picks it up which is how I am able to modify its network settings.

I only have one machine that I am using, the three devices in question are: My PC, The Drobo, The HH3

I'm off to work, but I'll continue this troubleshooting later/tomorrow, thanks for your help so far.

edit: I cannot change the drobo's network name to a static i.p. when I try (in the dashboard) it simply returns an error saying the name is an invalid network name

Aspiring Contributor
DEvans

Ok, so I should be going to work, but I thought I would do a ping test before I rush off, and yes I can indeed ping the Drobo at the static ip that I set for it. At least this means it is retaining the settings I gave it when its plugged into the router.

On the Drobo site it says that if you can see the Drobo as a network device but the dashboard does not pick it up then you should check your firewall and port settings. So my best guess is that these ports are somehow being limited.

The Drobo is invisible to the HH3's control panel however, what you said about it just showing DHCP devices makes sense as it showed up here when it was set to DHCP but not now it has a static IP.

Atleast we are narrowing the problem down a little here :smileyhappy:
Expert
raymie67

Sounds like your PC firewall and not the router