Aspiring Contributor
ascribe

Connecting printer to Home Hub 3 using ethernet cable: printer shows as offline

We recently changed to BT broadband and all PCs connected to Home Hub 3 easily. However, we can't seem to get the printer (Lexmark C530dn) to work from any of the computers. It is connected to the hub with an Ethernet cable, as is one of the computers. We can all see the printer on our computers, but it shows as being offline. (It is switched on.) Is it a matter of getting the right settings on the Network/Connection menu on the printer? If so, which ones, and how do we know what settings to use?

Contributor
thebennyboy

Re: Connecting printer to Home Hub 3 using ethernet cable: printer shows as offline

So the printer is showing up when you search for network devices? Try using a different ethernet cable, or does it have the option of using WiFi?

Aspiring Contributor
ascribe

Re: Connecting printer to Home Hub 3 using ethernet cable: printer shows as offline

Yes, the printer shows up fine, but is 'offline' even though it's switched on. Does that mean the network/port connections are wrong? It feels as though something in the settings just needs to be switched on or changed.

Sage
john46

check the drivers are correctly installed for using on a network
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
ascribe

Thanks for the suggestion, John, but the printer was working fine before with our previous hub, so it must have had the correct drivers installed. It's only been since we changed the hub that it appears 'offline', though it does appear.

Sage
john46

try deleting the printer then add printer again i have had that happen before and removing and adding again has cured it
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Expert
raymie67

I assume that the printer has a web configuration page, try accessing that and seeing what it says re the state of the priniter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
ascribe

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer and a different ethernet cable, but neither works, I'm afraid.

Aspiring Contributor
ascribe

I have printed out the network/port details (TCP/IP; IPv6; Std Network Card; and Integrated Network Option Settings details), but am not sure what to do about them. Can you tell me what to look for specifically?

It may be that it's too technical for me, and I need to get a computer technician in to sort this out for us.

Expert
raymie67

Best thing I can suggest without more details is to make sure that you give the printer a static ip address which is on the same sequence as your router but not in the range used by DHCP (dynamic ip's).

Make sure that the subnet mask is set correctly and that the gateway is set to the router IP address.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’