Beginner
Curlymac

Connecting second computer

I have just installed BT Infinity which works well (most of the time) on my main computer. However when I try to connect by laptop (which is a Mac Book) it will work occasionally. When I enter my wireless key it comes up with a connection timeout message. I have tried connecting with an Ethernet cable but that still does not work.

Aspiring Expert
wedding

Re: Connecting second computer

Not sure if this is relevant but can you set the Macbook wireless adapter to work on the 5GHz and/or the 2.4GHz band? If this is so then perhaps it is set on the 5GHz band (I believe the BT HH works only on 2.4GHz). A shot in the dark on my part as I am not familiar with Macs.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
Expert
jjgraphics

[ Edited ]

Hi Curlymac,

Make sure that you have fully updated MacOSX and then Repair Permissions.

Next, I suggest that you delete any previous setups for any older HHs (or other routers that you no longer use) from the Airport Network settings (Advanced button) and then delete any old unused passwords in your Keychain. These things laying around sometimes cause this sort of issue.

Then re-boot your MacBook and try connecting again.

You could also try manually setting a specific wireless channel in the HH settings to see if co-channel interference with a neighbour's router is the source of the problem. iStumbler may help you to check for this problem.

If you continue to have problems, you could request a replacement Infinity HH.

I have set aside my Infinity HH and use an Apple Airport Extreme. Goes like a train and the dual-band wireless gives me dramatically better coverage that the HH does.

Recent MacBooks can work on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz wifi, but the sensing is automatic and cannot be changed manually.

Aspiring Expert
wedding

Thanks for the info on the mac wireless jjgraphics. As I said, not au fait with MAC stuff.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
Beginner
Curlymac

A belated thank you for the information on connecting a second computer. I changed the order of the wireless connection in the Airport Nework Settings and it appeared to do the trick. I could not find any way of deleting the old ones but since I moved by current wireless key to the top of the list it connects OK every time.

Thanks again for all your help