dgalexander

Connection Freezes and slows

Hi,

My connection keeps slowing then freezing on my computer. It appears to be on my computer only. This is what I have tried in the last 10 days.

I have reformatted with Windows 8 - did not work

Tried Wireless and Ethernet connection - both do the same

Bought the new BT home hub 4 - did not help with connection

I have recently moved. The computer worked fine at previous location. Sky were great and it  just worked. I have on board NIC and USB pen wireless both produce the same results. This is strange as It shouldn't be y computer hardware but it seems to be my computer that triggers either the internet to freeze. I can still access the router settings when this happens so the network / hardware appear to be OK. 

I have tried the BT help line but it is all the usual, try the test socket etc.... 

Has anyone had this problem? Or any ideas at diagnostic tests I could run? 

This problem makes no sense to me.

Thanks in advance,

:smileyvery-happy:

Sage
john46

Re: Connection Freezes and slows

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
dgalexander

I have the new home hub 4 - are there any other details as no instructions for the hub 4

I also have done the test telephone socket over the phone quite a number of times. The filter is new and working OK - no crackling etc... 

Thanks

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:24:46
Downstream: 14 Mbps
Upstream: 1.192 Mbps

Sage
imjolly

when the internet freezes is it actually the internet has disconnected or is it your pc that stops getting access to the internet?  when it happens and you access the hub is it still conencted to the internet?

there should certainly be no problem with ethernet so have you checked that your network card driver is up to date from manufacturer's website and not rely on windows update?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
dgalexander

When the Internet freezes, it then stops for all of the computers (wireless or Ethernet connection) throughout the household. I haven't actually checked to see if the hub is still connected I will do that when I next encounter the freeze.

I am using the on board Ethernet port and not a PCI card.

Sage
john46

the basic details for the hub 4 are the same
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
dgalexander

I get the menu options;

Wireless | Broadband |Home Network |Firewall |System 

Internet |Connection |VPN |Dynamic DNS

Sage
imjolly

if onboard ethernet then the motherboard manufacturer may have an updated driver

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sage
john46

on the hub you can also go to trouble shooting and select event log