Aspiring Contributor
nicwalsh

Consistently Slow Broadband

My BB is consistently slow (around ~0.4MB download, worse in the evening). It has been for several months. It is so slow it has now become unusable and I’m girding my strength to once again begin a long campaign of frustrating complaint to no avail.. I’ve had similar problems ever since BB was installed here. Yes, we are ~4km from the local Medstead exchange, but the attenuation rate is not awful (53db) and my neighbours all get higher speeds – next door is 2.7Mb when tested (yes I always use bt official speedtester) and always run several test at different times of day myself and do not rely on their word.

So, to list the usual get-past-the call-centre hurdles.

I replaced the filter. There is only one line and no extension. I plug into the master socket coming into the house. It is a single side-by-side master (used to be 2 lines coming into house)

Router stats are above.

BT India (retail) have supposedly a) run line test and “found a line fault” and “passed onto to line fault team” (no call back, no fix).

Now they claim a router fault and are sending a replacement router.

after i rang to complain again.

I’ll wait and see if this solves the problem after a few days of route “stability training”. I doubt it will, having tried 2 or 3 different routers over the years. If not, my question is this:-

I need a stable, fast BB and would be content with (only) 2.5MB. I’ve heard business BB ADSL routers are more stable.

My question is this…. if I cannot get a decent service from retail on my current home line, is it worth my while ordering a brand new business BB line to be installed afresh from the cabinet, i.e. including a new master socket etc. by placing a brand new business order? I’ve heard the routers are better, the staff/service better and they might agree to creating a brand new line.

I am sooooo desperate I’ll pay if I can get 2.5MB+

Aspiring Contributor
nicwalsh

Re: Consistently Slow Broadband

can't seem to paste screen shot and previous richtetx failed with images so router stats here:-

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 9:06:04
Downstream864 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)11.6 dB / 15.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)53.0 dB / 28.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)15.6 dBm / 12.2 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)12
Loss of Signal (Local)56
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)12948 / 7
CRC Errors (Down/Up)21 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 4
Error Seconds (Local)1576
Aspiring Contributor
nicwalsh

and speedtest results:-

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 513 Kbps

0 Kbps500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 513 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :864 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps

Sage
imjolly

your connection time is only 9hrs is that due to a manual reset or the hub disconnecting on it's own.  do you suffer from the hub disconnecting - would need to check connection time in hub on a regular basis to see

have you tried quiet line test   dial 17070 option should hear nothing and best with corded phone   if cordless then dull hum is normal

with your attenuation I would hope for about 4mb on good line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
nicwalsh

Hi, I haven't done a manual reset and it has been left "on" since i plugged it into the main socket last week (8 days) to eliminate in-house line issues. Might the BT retail team have reset it when testing it remotely?

I tried the quiet line option and there's no noise on the line. Its nice and quiet.

Thanks for the help / interest!

I do understand that the algorithms need a steady connection for minimum of 2-3 days. This is why i left it for a fulll week after pluggin into the master before complaining again.

I'm not totally convinced about a faulty router as I've had 2 or more different in there and with the same poor speed. I had a sky router and went back to BT as I couldn't get any response out of Sky and wanted to deal with a single supplier due to the diffuclty of getting good service.

Aspiring Contributor
nicwalsh

Hi, I'd happily buy another router myself to solve the problem. If the one they send also has problems i might try and secure one of the "BT business" routers mentioned elsewhere purported to hold on to a signal longer and better or tyr another 3rd party router after reviewng them. We live in an old 50s bungalow and I supect the line quality from the cabinet, but as you point out, the attenuation is not too bad and online calculators predcit a 3-4Mb speed should be attainable. My neighbour has 2.7Mb The difficulty is, i suspect, getting BT retail to spend money on an openreach engineer visit to figure to what the problem is. I cynically believe that replacing the router is their next step, and that won't solve the problem.

Any thoughts on my question re: getting a brand new business line installed, new line, new master socket etc... i.e. forcing a line replacement?

Aspiring Contributor
nicwalsh

PS checking the hub logs it has re-started/re-set twice in the last 24 hrs. This may well be the / another feature of the problem as if it never stays up presumably the speed will never increase... if the replacement router fixes this I'll let you know. It could be a while as I work away all week. I get 1.5MB from my 3G dongle and 0.4 from my fixed line BB.....information superhighway :smileysad: But awful mobile signal at home. And no BB to use vodafone accelerator via BB.

Sage
john46

Hi I would suggest you contact the forum mods at this link http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 they normally reply within 72 hours personally by email or phone ask them to reduce your noisemargin if you can maintain a stable connection for 3days
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
nicwalsh

Hi, thanks, have now done, so, will post any progress / solution / saga.

Sage
john46

hi the mods will certainly get things sorted for you
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’