Aspiring Contributor
loveviking

Disapointed with boradband upstream and downstream speed

Hi - first time post having just joined BT from another ISP after moving house (I'd heard some good things from friends so thought I'd give it a shot!).

When checking the BT wholesale site I get the following:

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 11.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 15.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 11.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 15.5Mbps.

Now I'm connected up using a new ADSL2+ supporting Netgear router - I've specified the following settings:

PPPoA

LLC Based Multiplexing

VPI 0

VCI 38

DSL Mode Auto

Transfer Mode ATM

I'm really noticing quite slow up and down bandwidth (relative to what I had previously).

I'm in a new flat and BT have installed a new connection.  I'm ~900m from the exchange as the crow flies.

My router stats are:

Downstream Connection Speed - 8128 Kbps

Upstrream Connection Speed - 448 Kbps

My line noise / attenuation is 27db downstream and 14.5db upstream

When I test using the bt speedtester  I get downstream rates of 6478Kbps

If I use something like speedtest.net I get ranges between 4549Kbps and 6557kbps down and 343Kbps to 369Kbps up.

From my point of view with the proximity to the exchange and the noise that is being reported I'd be expecting to synchronise to the exchange at higher rates and therefore get a better service.

Is there any way of checking that I've definately been provisioned an ADSL2+ connection rather than a ADSL Max? (the 8Mb synch to the exchange looks a bit suspicious)

Any ideas or help?

Thanks!

Sage
imjolly

Re: Disapointed with boradband upstream and downstream speed

welcome to the forum

you are on adslmax with the speeds you quote - adsl2/2+ will show a modulation of 992.3/992.5 and not like yours 992.1.

check to see if your exchnage is 21CN enabled  http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
loveviking

Re: Disapointed with broadband upstream and downstream speed

Hi imjolly,

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

The exchange (ESDON) is indeed 21CN / ADSL2+ Enabled.

I tried to discuss with BT Tech Support and they were nice but they weren't really much help (other than offering me a paid service for somebody to come and have a look).

I don't have any way of checking the modulation - but you appear to know mine is 992.1 - were you able to work this out or are you assuming from the speeds?

Any recommendation on how to take this forward?

Really appreciate all/any guidance and assistance!

Sage
imjolly

if you are using a hub then enter 192.168.1.254 into your browser and then navigate to adsl and you will see all the stats which are posted by others.  you can post yours which will help.  you should see from your connection speeds a modulation of 992.1 which is adslmax - 8128/448.

as you have just joined Bt you can first try to contact uk sales 08007830056 and complaine that your exchange is 21CN enabled but you are only on adslmax.  if that does not work then post your stats and then contact the mods to get moved on to 21CN adsl2/2+  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

mods are uk based and can take up to 3 days to contact you but try sales first

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
loveviking

Hi,

Sadly not using a BT Hub.

Followed your guidance and spoke to sales, they see that the order was placed requesting ADSL2 ...

They suggested raising a grievance so I get a dedicated resource to look at this.  Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your help!

Sage
imjolly

if they won't help my suggestion to get a solution is to contact the mods as you will find that gives a better and more important faster solution.

which router are you using?

Aspiring Contributor
loveviking

Hey,

Router is a Netgear DGN3700.

Thanks 

Sage
imjolly

so enter 192.168.0.1 should take you into the manager then I think something like router status and the at the bottom show connection details

Aspiring Contributor
loveviking

Yes, the router stats are pretty terse:

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed8128 kbps448 kbps
Line Attenuation27.5 db14.5 db
Noise Margin8.1 db25.0 db

I'll maybe see if there is a command line interface that I can use to get more info...

Thanks

Sage
john46

hi you are syncing at the maximum speed for adslmax and your line length is 2.2km in length when switched to adsl2+ i would hope for about 14 mb allowing for a 3db increase in attenuation when you change services
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’