Mark229

Does turning router off every night affect speed?

[ Edited ]

Hi

I turn off my router every night and my friend said thats why I'm getting speeds of around 2Mbps instead of around 8Mbps

Can someone confirm this please?

Sage
imjolly

Re: Does turning router off every night affect speed?

The recommendation is that your router remains connected 24/7 however there are many who switch off before going to bed The problem would be if you were to switch back on and then off quickly or the router reset and you switched it of shortly after as the exchange might see this as a noise problem and drop your speed.  can you post the adsl stats from your router and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results. Someone may then be able to offer assistance if your friend thinks your speed should be better 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Mark229

[ Edited ]

Download speedachieved during the test was - 355 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

Sage
imjolly

your stats look ok and the large number of crc up errors is a software bug and can be ignored.  You have an 8mb connection and the corresponding profile but your throughput is very low.  Run btspeedtester again tomorrow and if your throughput is still roughly the same then you need to email the mods for assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Expert
ttyrie

I would advise that you leave the HomeHub on 24/7 this could be the cause. DLM in the exchange will change your SNR and speed accordingly, I would give it 10 days to see a notable increase.

''

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is a process which continously monitors your line to ensure that a stable connection is being maintained.

This works by data being sent to the DSLAM every time you connect to the Internet, including line data and any errors on the phone line.

The information is collated by the Data Collector which in turn sends it to the Dynamic Line Management system.

Should the DLM detect an issue on the line it will adjust SNR and Interleaving settings or decrease your connection (sychronisation) speed to a level which will provide you with a stable connection.

If on the contrary your connection proves stable at a higher sychronisation speed, DLM will increase your profile to operate at this level.

It's important to note that your connection must remained sychronised at the higher rate for 3 days before DLM will update your BRAS profile.

If any changes are made, DLM sends the information via the flow stream to NCAS. NCAS then reports to the DSLAM which then makes the relevant changes to the individual users line card.''

Sage
imjolly

Mark229 is on the max 8128 for adslmax and cannot get any higher even if the noise margin did reduce.  The problem is throughput not the noise margin

Expert
ttyrie

I dont mean any higher than 8meg! But it should increase to at least 4/5 mbps.

Sage
imjolly

ttyrie wrote:

I dont mean any higher than 8meg! But it should increase to at least 4/5 mbps.

not sure what you mean.  the down speed is 8128 whic the highest for adslmax and 7150 is the consistent profile.  the problem is the very low throughput which should be in line with profile but is not and if not improved by tomorrow then mod assistance will be required to get throughput fixed. Probably something at exchange needs fixed

Expert
ttyrie

thats what I mean, in line or just below the IP Profile.
Expert
hamish72

ttyrie wrote:
thats what I mean, in line or just below the IP Profile.

The system has given him the highest profile he is going to get but the through put is nowhere near what it should be for the profile

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me