Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Distinguished Sage

Re: Download speed at 125k or below for the last 2 weeks

no you look as if you have solved it your self look at my last post
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage

are there cable attached to the front of your master which feed your extension sockets? more than 1 set connected to terminals 2 & 5?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage

your statement is very confusing you say you have no more sockets but then say all your extensions have filters ?????
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor

OK, sorry if I've confused you. The layout of my house telephony is:

- master socket in hall, 4 metres away from hub which requires a cable extension to reach the master; this extension cable has a filter fitted on it with the hub connecting via the ADSL socket and a second extension cable plugged into the normal phone socket. This 2nd cable goes through the wall, has a filter on it and the lounge phone plugs into this.

- pre-built extension through walls to bedroom - no idea of exactly how it plugs into the network but it's got a filter on

see attached jpg for more clarity!

Nick

Nicks telephony

Aspiring Contributor

"one thing i have now just spotted since removing the front plate and replacing it your connection speed has increased from 608k and a 25.9dB noise margin to 2560k and a noise margin your connection has already improved dramatically of 15dB just leave the hub connected 24 /7 for 3/5days and your profile should now rise automatically"

Ah, now that's the thing - it isn't rising automatically.  The other issue is that the line seems to have been more flaky over the last several days (possibly causing the failure to increase speed automatically).

Generally if I spot that my connection speed has plummeted to 125k or worse I will disconnect & reconnect which usually pushes my speed back up to 2000k+. Unfortunately the commensurate profile change hasn't been happening. And just as I was logging on today to see if someone could give it a kick the **bleep** thing dropped off again.

Distinguished Sage

i would say without much doubt the problems you are having are due to an internal wiring error as connection speed and noise margin would not both improve by just a hub restart
Aspiring Contributor

Can't see how our connection goes up and down based on our internal wiring, surely it would either be high or low and we can have weeks of good connection. We haven't touched the wiring since the engineer was out a year ago (and that was a case of one bit of wiring being poor and we never got more than dial-up speeds - once we got rid of it we easily hit 2meg).

:smileyfrustrated:

Distinguished Sage

If it was my wiring I would have the filter in the master socket and the extention to the living room phone in one side and I would get a new longer shielded RJ11 cable to go from filter to hub

are you having problems with your phone that you have it filtered twice?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor

I did wonder what the effect of having 2 filters on one branch would be, but the phone is generally fine. It's a cordless job and every now and then it'll have a little drop out, as if the power had briefly gone off - the base unit makes a few beeps followed by the handset re-connecting and beeping. But that's pretty rare. I guess the quality of the phone line isn't particularly brilliant but the phone is cordless and over ten yrs old. I'll look into streamlining my wiring.

Just had a look at my ADSL settings again and it dropped connection again today, but reconnected at a theoretical 2.7 meg. My actual speed is still around 117k. I guess as long as the connection keeps dropping out my profile won't rise.

So why do I keep losing my connection? Something has happened over the last few weeks to make it very flaky and we haven't changed a thing in our house.

Apart from a bit of vac every now and then, obviously.

Distinguished Sage

the normal reason for dropping connection is noise on your line - that can happen anytime.  that was why I suggested the wiring change to try and improve the hub connection and reduce the noise