Ma
Aspiring Contributor
Ma

Re: Dropped connections since local network upgrade

I am having the same problem with losing connecrion tried ringing bt and they aren't helping at all they just keep passing me on to other people or saying they will ring me back and they dont it has been going on for about three months can any one help me my home hub is 2.0

Expert
gouledw

Hey Ma can you please start your own thread and include the details required so we can help you below :smileyhappy:.

Can you please post your ADSL stats by following this direct link; http://192.168.1.254/ and go to A-Z (top right) and then ADSL Status and post everything including Line Attenuation, Noise Margin, Connection Speed, Errors etc...

Also we need a speedtest just to have a look and make sure everything's okay? Use this link http://bit.ly/uViAXN and post all the required info Throughput, IP Profile etc..). If that one doesn't work then try this work around link http://bit.ly/tIPNYA .

Run a line test to determine if or not it is an external problem: http://goo.gl/J25w8

Can you also confirm if you're connected at the master socket or an extension? And what your type your master socket is according to this picture
Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 14.30.20.jpg

Lastly for now, call 17070 and Press Option 2 for the Quiet Line test and where possible use a corded phone as DECT handsets can pick up electrical interference?

Are you connected Wirelessly or through a cable?

Ma
Aspiring Contributor
Ma

ok have posted in my own thread sorry new to the board

Expert
raymie67

DC_glasgow

The point of my test was that in my experience if the issue is with BT then it tends to NOT depend on how much you use the internet, if however it is a comms traffic issue then it happens much more frequently if you use it heavily.

The trick I found was to set up some downloads that used up all of your bandwidth and for this a usenet download or torrents are ideal since they run on multiple streams at the same time (and when the ppp0a drops will restart automatically again after it resumes).

If you max out the bandwidth and the ppp0a starts to drop say every 10 minutes then it is not an infrastructure issue around the bRAS but a problem possibly specific to you, in that case it may be different now but when I reported a similar issue to the mods they had no idea on how to solve it or what caused it, it was myself that eventually diagnosed it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Contributor
DCglasgow

Thanks raymie.  Brain wasn't in gear last night and I didn't quite follow your suggestion as I had never heard of usenet or torrents.  I am actually a very light user, only some general browsing and a little email, in fact I have only used around 3gb of this month's 10gb allowance.  Biggest downloads would be anti virus/spyware updates, and disconnections never coincide with any of those. 

Expert
raymie67

No you would need to max out the connection much longer and if you have  a 10gb limit that is probablyl not a good idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Contributor
DCglasgow

Should I just wait and see if the Mods can throw any more light on the problem with their checks ?

Expert
raymie67

Probably, not really much more you can do yourself I would think.

Normally when these issues occur they go on for at most a day or two and then disappear (I have seen the ppp0a disconnects OCCASSIONALLY in the past, maybe one or two a year) but your issue seems to be more akin to a mis configuration somewhere. I am wondering now if it is possibly in the MSAN at the upgraded exchange.

Contributor
DCglasgow

Thanks raymie. 

As you can see, my problem has gone on since the day of the upgrade in August.  It did improve to a bearable level after disconnecting the phone from my HH2, and again when replacing HH2 with HH3.  During the first ten days or so of using HH3, I was only aware of one disconnection.  After that disconnections perhaps once a day were mostly the norm, but HH3 seems to be quicker to recover from them than HH2 was, so I would quite happily tolerate that situation when I compare to what it was previously like.  But there are just those odd days when the frequency of disconnections increases and I worry that the problem may be deteriorating to those previous levels again. 

I do read other topics on here and see users having much bigger issues, so I don't want to appear to be grumbling about a few brief disconnections.  If it is a case as originally thought of my adsl upgrade being less tolerant of line noise, then that is something I perhaps need to live with.  But if as your recent advice suggests that there may be other network issues, then it would be good to have them resolved if that is possible.  It's unfortunate that I hadn't been aware of Event Logs before, as that may have provided earlier evidence of the PPPOA theory.  I will wait to hear from the Mods on that.

Thanks again for all the replies and advice, all very much appreciated.

Expert
raymie67

You issue does not sound like it is line specific (although there is a possibility that it could be if your error counts are way high), when your problem is found you may find it ends up helping hundred of other users so worth progressing even for that chance in my opinion.