Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Dropping Broadband Connection

I've been having problems with my BT Broadband over the last couple of months. Everything seems fine for a few days (sometimes a bit more) albeit with extremely slow download speeds of 1.38 and upload of 0.81. Then all of a sudden the broadband light on my Home Hub 2.0 turns to flashing orange and remains as such for anything upto 8 hours, during which I have no internet., then comes back on all of a sudden.

I have an Openreach ADSL v1.0 telephone master socket, which my HH is plugged into and all of my devices connect using wireless including my iMac.

I have run the line test many times with no faults found and spoke to the 'Technical' helpdesk ith no useful solution.

Can anyone please help?? 

I have copied my ltest stats below.

Line state Connected
Connection time 1 day, 22:55:16
Downstream 1,376 Kbps
Upstream 952 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.3
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 16.1 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 51.5 dB / 29.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 3
Loss of Signal (Local) 4
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 68710635 / 4294967263
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 89 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 84

Distinguished Sage

Re: Dropping Broadband Connection

[ Edited ]

Do you have another router you can try?

Its possible the homehub 2 is faulty.

See

Reported problems with the Home Hub 2.0

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't have another router to try. Should I just get a new HomeHub?

Distinguished Sage

hover2u wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have another router to try. Should I just get a new HomeHub?

Well you have been connected for over a day now. Normally if the hub is faulty, it disconnects a few times every day.

It could be an intermittent line fault, but it would be unusual for it to be off for eight hours.

I am surprised that the helpdesk have not offered to replace the home hub, as that is one of the first things they usually do.

Without substituting another router, its going to be difficult to prove the fault.

Do you use broadband talk, or the BT hub phones?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor

I don't use broadband talk, or a BT hub phone. I might try the helpdesk again and suggest a new Hub. 

Distinguished Sage

hover2u wrote:

I don't use broadband talk, or a BT hub phone. I might try the helpdesk again and suggest a new Hub. 

Try that first, if you still cannot make any progress, then let me know, and it should be possible to get additional assistance.

I asked about broadband talk because you would lose the number if the helpdesk sent a home hub 3.

Contributor

Spoke to Helpdesk. They said router is not faulty but there is a problem on my local exchange and this has been reported to the Level 2 Team. This is exactly what happened when I reported the problem last time. They called back after 2 days and said it was fixed but fault has kept on occurring. I am really losing patience with BT.

Distinguished Sage

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they will be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

Contributor

Many thanks. Have reported it to the Care Team. However broadband again dropped out just recently. Updated stats:-

Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:05:05
Downstream 1,495 Kbps
Upstream 956 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.3
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 7.1 dB / 5.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 51.0 dB / 29.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 25
Loss of Signal (Local) 7
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 74229 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 10
Error Seconds (Local) 93

Distinguished Sage

Please update this thread with the outcome. Thanks.