Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

EO Lines in entire township

A little advice please, a new BT combined fibre and telephone large green box has been installed in our township out here on the Outer Hebrides a total of 16 houses we are all connected to the local exchange which is fibre enabled by EO lines, however the fibre service comes from anothermain BT exchange some 15 miles away to this box which is sat alongside my garden wall.

So after thinking we were going to get fibre like the next village along some 4 miles back along the cable we have been reading up on EO lines and it seems we might not get fibre after all from this box, so why put it in.

All the work was done by contractors so we could not get anwers there apart from its a fibre box, Openreach web site says exploring options, BT know nothing about it,Highland and islands enterprise just say it EO lines so its  its all getting very confusing.

So is there any hope or should I start looking at a other ways of getting internet two way ect as we have no 3 or 4G on the island

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

Re: EO Lines in entire township

What's your podtcode?

Do you have any images of the cabinet that's been installed?

If there's an all in one cabinet been installed then it will be for the migration of EO lines to this cabinet, however, they can take a long time to go live as network rearrangement isn't the simplest of tasks.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Leehebrides wrote:

A little advice please, a new BT combined fibre and telephone large green box has been installed in our township out here on the Outer Hebrides a total of 16 houses we are all connected to the local exchange which is fibre enabled by EO lines, however the fibre service comes from anothermain BT exchange some 15 miles away to this box which is sat alongside my garden wall.

So after thinking we were going to get fibre like the next village along some 4 miles back along the cable we have been reading up on EO lines and it seems we might not get fibre after all from this box, so why put it in.

All the work was done by contractors so we could not get anwers there apart from its a fibre box, Openreach web site says exploring options, BT know nothing about it,Highland and islands enterprise just say it EO lines so its  its all getting very confusing.

So is there any hope or should I start looking at a other ways of getting internet two way ect as we have no 3 or 4G on the island

It doesn't matter where the fibre comes from, that distance is totally immaterial, it is the distance of the copper pair from the box that matters. Currently your phone and broadband are connected directly by copper to your local exchange. When the cabinet is enabled, your phone will still be connected to the local exchange by copper but your broadband will be supplied by fibre from the other exchange and then copper from the new cabinet.

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Many thanks for the replies .  My post code is HS6 5hd, that is Clachan North Uist. Here is the box being installed several weeks ago as you can see it's taken from a BT road side hole, the power was put in my the hydro board 3 weeks ago.

IMG_4437.JPGIMG_4436.JPG

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

IMG_4440.JPGAn this is the exchanged were next to which is fibre enabled and shown as where the Fibre that the near by village get the Broadband from cabinate 1, this one is marked up as two, I was told by the engineer it's coming from a different exchanged the main one on the next island down. As I said confusing

Distinguished Sage

Leehebrides wrote:

An this is the exchanged were next to which is fibre enabled and shown as where the Fibre that the near by village get the Broadband from cabinate 1, this one is marked up as two, I was told by the engineer it's coming from a different exchanged the main one on the next island down. As I said confusing

Not really, as I said, it doesn't matter where the fibre comes from. There will be no speed loss in the fibre portion of the circuit. Broadband and telephony are separate technologies that just share the copper wires to your house from either the exchange (EO) or cabinet.

Distinguished Guru

The fibre will terminate at a headend or handover points, they are the larger exchanges in cities and towns.

If there's only 16 homes in your area then I can 99% be sure that you will be hooked up to the new cabinet, when, I can't say.

The distance limit for a fibre cab is about 3km, so it you're the only village within such a radius, then that further cements the fact it will be for your village's lines. It wouldn't be installed there otherwise.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru

Fibre can run many, many miles before needing a repeater.
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Phew thank you for the replies, some of my reading on EO lines made me doubt myself, so that box is 10 feet from where the copper comes in to the house and another 10 feet from the junction box, so i should be looking at decent speeds.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

80Mbps sync speed at that distance.