Ratan
Accepted Solution

Email has stopped working

2 days ago I stopped receiving email from my BT addresses and stopped being able to send email. I can still receive email from @gmail.com and @mac.me. Also my email addresses work from the BT website. I have not changed any settings on any of my computers or router. This just happened. Is there a problem with the BT servers?

BW

Ratan

Guru
Andy_N

Re: Email has stopped working

Ratan wrote:

2 days ago I stopped receiving email from my BT addresses and stopped being able to send email. I can still receive email from @gmail.com and @mac.me. Also my email addresses work from the BT website. I have not changed any settings on any of my computers or router. This just happened. Is there a problem with the BT servers?

BW

Ratan

Hi Ratan.

When you say you can access the email addresses from the BT website, can I assume that you are referring to webmail access via a browser ?

What email client program are you using (e.g Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows mail etc) and are you receiving any error message - if so, can you give the details (removing any personal info).

Are you with BT as a BTinternet user (via broadband or dial-up) ?

As a small test, can you login to :-

www.btyahoo.com

using your btinternet email address. If you are taken directly to the email presentation, then the email address has been converted to Basic email (something of an unusual beast these days), but if you are taken to the normal portal - then there is a problem with your account or local setup.

Sometimes an account can fail to login via pop3/smtp for a period of time, normally a short while - but some people have had this problem over a number of days - which eventually sorts itself out.

There is not a problem with the BT servers, that's for sure, if there was - there would be masses of reports here and in the newsgroups, but I see none at present. Hence this indicates an individual account problem.

Ratan

I am using Mac mail and leopard. I haven't changed any settings passwords etc and until 2 todays ago my mail was working perfectly on all the computers in my house. I can use my bt broadband account (I am with BT total broadband and have been for the last 12 years) with my web browser (Safari) and all my email addresses for my account are working and appear normal. However none of our computers are downloading email or able to send email to mail.btinternet.com. I couldnt log onto the wed address you gave below.  

Thanks for the interest. 

Guru
Andy_N

Ratan wrote:

I am using Mac mail and leopard. I haven't changed any settings passwords etc and until 2 todays ago my mail was working perfectly on all the computers in my house. I can use my bt broadband account (I am with BT total broadband and have been for the last 12 years) with my web browser (Safari) and all my email addresses for my account are working and appear normal. However none of our computers are downloading email or able to send email to mail.btinternet.com. I couldnt log onto the wed address you gave below.  

Thanks for the interest. 

Thanks for the extra info.

Like I said, it could be a fleeting problem (albeit lasting a few days). How do you normally login via Safari to access webmail ?

Strange that http://www.btyahoo.com doesn't work - it should do.

Can you provide any error messages you are receiving via Mac mail ? I expect there to be some, certainly when trying to send emails.

Something to try initially, is a router power cycle. Disconnect the broadband, and remove the power altogether. Wait a few minutes and reconnect. See if that cures it - it sometimes can.

Ratan

Error message when clicking the triangle beside the name of the email account is 

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account “alex001” or try again.
The server error encountered was: The server “mail.btinternet.com” cannot be contacted on port 110.

I normally log into btyahoo.com when not on my mac and at the present time for my email. Will leave it for another couple of days and then see what happens. Broadband is fine with all computers and speed is the same. Just BT email accounts affected on all computers but not web based email such as gmail.

Ratan

Ratan

Turned of the router and rebooted and hey presto email is up and running without changing any settings.

Many thanks for your input and time.

Ratan