Caroline

Email receipt of delivery

I have been asked by a friend to set up my email so that he knows automatically when I have opened emails that he has sent me.

Anyone know how I do this?

Thanks

Aspiring Contributor
Flying-Tog

Re: Email receipt of delivery

Hi

Usually the SENDER of the email can request a reciept in their email program that does this.

Expert
IanC

In most respectable email clients, responding to such requests will be turned off by default, so the receiver will have to enable it.

How that's done will depend on the client software used.

Aspiring Expert
Brokk

And if you set it up, you'll be sending receipt confirmations to everyone who emails you, not just one address. You might not intend that.

Expert
IanC

That may - or may not - be the case, depending on the client software (we don't currently know what that is) and possibly how exactly it's configured.

Here, for example, I can have "respond to read-receipts" disabled or enabled. Disabled just ignores the requests. With the option enabled, I've the choice of always responding without intervention, or to ask for confirmation (send read-receipt - yes/no) every time, along with some other possibilities tied in with the address book.

It's also worth remembering that a response to a request for a read-receipt actually means it's been displayed on screen - not necessarily that it's been read !  Also that a non-response doesn't mean that it hasn't been read...

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

In Outlook and Outlook Express, you can set it to always send receipts if requested, never send them, or ask if you want to send a receipt for each message.

I prefer that last option so I can decide who I want to send receipts to.
Beginner
JW881

Does anyone know if BT/Yahoo mail enables email delivery receipts. If so how do we turn them on?

I am constantly being told that people are not receiving my emails so If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

My email address is an @btinternet one

Expert
IanC

JW881 wrote:

Does anyone know if BT/Yahoo mail enables email delivery receipts. If so how do we turn them on?

Do you mean BTYahoo! webmail, via a web browser ?  If so, I believe the answer is no - you can't request a receipt.

If you're using an email application (Outlook/Express, Thunderbird etc) the answer's yes, but the procedure for enabling it will depend on the particular client used.

I am constantly being told that people are not receiving my emails so If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

I doubt that'll help much. If people aren't recieving your email, you'll get no delivery notification. Also, see above - most respectable mail clients have this feature disabled, so failure to get a notification of email delivery doesn't really tell you much.

Beginner
JW881

Yes i mean BT/Yahoo webmail. So there is no option for delivery receipts?

If i want to do this i will have to access my emails through a different programme? If so can you recommend one.

When i say people are not getting my emails there is no reason why they are not and i think that they maybe lying hence why i would like delivery receipts.

Jason

Sage
imjolly

even if you get a mail program that allows you to request a delivery receipt it is still up to the recipient of the mail whether they give one or not.  I personally don't give receipts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.