nommy

Guild Wars 2 Connection issues.

i'm having issues with connection with guild wars 2, it seems that at peak times i get disconnected but during the day its fine. any help would be great :smileyvery-happy:. here is my ping ploter report.

Ping Plotter report and if you look at it on hop 10, you will see I'm getting a bit of packet loss. If you look at the next 5 hops you will see areas in the green bars that appear broken. This represents my connection being unable to connect to that specific hop, this usually results in my connection trying to reroute through a different IP in order to maintain my connection. In some cases my connection may recover from this however.

Untitled4.png

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Guild Wars 2 Connection issues.

[ Edited ]

Welcome to this customer to customer forum. I am assuming that you are on ADSL, as this is the ADSL board.

To enable forum members to help you, please could you look at Helping forum members to help you which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.
When you have done that, please post the results here, so members can offer advice. Thank you.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

nommy

[ Edited ]

i have done everything for example
Port Forwarding
DMZ Enable yes

even got new Ethernet cable cost me £26.99
still getting connection issues.

nommy

i spoke to guild wars 2 tech they replyed with this. 

Response Brian via Email 01/19/2013 07:06 PM

Hello.

While I understand you are hearing two different things here, this simply isn't the case. First, please understand that we see every single report that comes in from players. If there is an issue with the server, without even looking into it, we can usually tell it's on our end because half the population of Guild Wars 2 just created a ticket. That isn't happening here. Does that mean there server never has issue? No, it doesn't. The game does have it's issue and we work very hard to make sure those are resolved as quickly as possible. However, with that being said what your ISP is telling you is simply not true.

First, they should have explained to you that you can not compare two different games like this. The reason for this is simple. Each game will use a different server, that server is hosted in a different geographical location, which causes you to alter course when sending data. For example, think of a freeway. To get to server A, (Let's use Guild Wars 2) you would go north bound on the freeway. To get to server B (let's use Planetside 2 here) you would go south bound on the freeway. Now when you check the traffic report, you are told that there is north bound traffic and commutes to the Guild Wars 2 "server" will have delays. Since the south bound lanes are clear of this traffic, you would not get the same delays as you would if you went north. Game servers work just the same way as this free way analogy. The route you are taking is congested, not the server. That's why when you change games, you also change servers, thus also changing your route.

Now, how does "packet loss" factor into this? Well, imagine the same scenario, you are traveling north bound on the freeway to the Guild Wars 2 "server." Along the way, parts of your car quite literally fall off. Each mile you travel, more and more parts are falling off. By the time you reach the server you have a shell of your former car. That's what's happening here with your data. When you start, you have a solid set of packets being sent (packets in this example is your car). However, along the way more and more of those "packets" are being dropped. By the time you reach your destination, you have so few packets left that you no longer have a connection to the server and are thus, disconnected. If you are not fully disconnected, the server will have to "fill in" the missing data to try and keep you connected. This forces your character to "warp" around the screen as it fights between what the server is saying and what you, the client is saying. In addition, high latency to occur, skills to take longer than normal to cast... etc etc.

So now that we understand what is happening, why does WTFast.com help resolve it? Well, in short a proxy server is like taking a side street or city street around the traffic on the free way. You are still trying to get to Guild Wars 2 server by going north bound on the "freeway" However, since you know there will be traffic, you exit the free way and take another route along city streets. Though the trip may take a little longer, you are free of traffic and since you are using another "route" your car isn't losing parts left and right, resulting in a complete car making it to the server. To put it another way, the new route isn't causing you to have packet loss and as such, your data is actually making to the server intact.

Because the use of WTFast's proxy servers have shown that your data *can* make it to the server without issue, that highlights what we previously stated. The "route" your data is taking on your ISP's network is the issue here. You are losing to much information from packet loss while en route to the server and until they resolve that issue or route your data through another "freeway" you will continue to experience these issues. While you could always just pay for WTFast and use their service, you really shouldn't have to. You are paying for an ISP to get your data from point A (your PC) to point B (our server) and that isn't happening here. You can further show proof of this by providing not only the Ping Plotter results which graphically show the packet loss happening, but you confirmed it with the use of the proxy service.

Again, I really do understand your frustration and I am sorry to hear your ISP isn't properly addressing this issue. But I need you to understand that we have absolutely no control over how your data makes it to our server. At best, we can control some aspects of the data once it reaches our servers but the trip to and from are largely the responsibility of your ISP. If your ISP can show any information which would indicate there is in fact an issue on our end, please share it with us. I am more than happy to bring that information to our network engineering teams for review.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

As you are sure its not a problem with your connection, then there is nothing I can do to help, as this is only a customer to customer help  forum.

All I can suggest is that you take the issue up with BT.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor
drake178

Do you have a textual output for your picture (gallery images don't load for me)? If not, you can try this:

pathping www.bbc.co.uk > "C:\somefile.txt"
pathping [insert gw2 server address here] >> "C:\somefile.txt"

The first one is for reference. They take several minutes to complete each, and will write to the file specified. You should probably do one when it's clear and one when it's lagging/disconnecting you. This looks like a congestion-related issue and as such you may have a very hard time getting through to BT with it. You should gather all the information you can. I must say though, the 10th hop is VERY far into the best-effort internet, even if it's still somewhere in BTs system.