Beginner
punkmeets

HEC errors and disconnections

I've had BT broadband now for about 6 weeks and I've had nothing but problems. Mainly that it keeps disconnecting me at random intervals, sometimes hours apart, sometimes minutes. And the only thing I can see that could be causing it is the amount of HEC errors I'm getting. I've tried plugging directly into the test socket behind the facepanel and still get the same amount of errors, thus eliminating the internal wiring. I've changed the microfilter over 4 times and for sure I know 2 of the definitely work as I borrowed them from a friend and they are fine at his place.

Stats from the router since my last restart are below, nearly quarter of a million HEC errors in 22 minutes... Any help would be appreciated!

(Oh and the BT line test says the line is fine by the way, though I used to test RedCares for a living so I know exactly how reliable that thing is!)

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 00:22:04
Downstream13,782 Kbps
Upstream1,112 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)5.0 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)39.3 dB / 19.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)20.2 dBm / 1.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)583 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)9658 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up)715746 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)

224 / 0

Sage
imjolly

Re: HEC errors and disconnections

for an attenuation of 39 you have a tremendous connection at 13782 as kitz shows 9568 on a good line!  it could be that your speed may drop a bit and your line become a bit more stable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
punkmeets

The speed has dropped in the past as the router kept dropping connection, but still had the errors, then it went back up, then back down but not by as much. As I said it's been 6 weeks. Surely if it was a problem that would be sorted like that it should have done so by now.
Beginner
punkmeets

Oh and the connection speed I'm getting is actually just under 10000.
Sage
imjolly

your connection is 13782 as shown on the stats you posted - do you meean your download is 10000?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
punkmeets

Yeah sorry download speed is below 10000, getting between 9000 and 9500.

Router has now been connected for just under 2 and a half hours and have just over 3 million HEC errors!

Beginner
punkmeets

Should also have said the downstream on the ADSL connection stats has never changed, only the profile limit imposed has.

Sage
imjolly

can you run btspeedtester and post the results

Beginner
punkmeets

Posted below. Download speed is the highest I've seen it in a few weeks Over the last few days, as I said, been getting 9 to 9.5.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 11077 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :13782 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1111 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 10000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 17.4:23.87:58.73 (SBE:NBE:smileytongue:BE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 776 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1111 Kbps

Sage
imjolly

I'll say it again you have a tremendous connection for a 39 attenuation.  I just hope it holds for you