cornetto
Accepted Solution

HTC Wildfire connection help - previously no problems

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this? I have seen a few similar problems in the forum upon searching, but nothing exactly the same.

I have been connecting to the Home Hub with my Wildfire with no problems since I got it in November, however now it's suddenly stopped working. It will find the Hub and go to connect, but gets stuck on the "finding IP address" bit. Nothing has changed either with the Hub or the phone. I can connect fine to BT Fon, but a lot of the apps, such as the weather widget and Facebook won't work then. Any ideas? I have reset the Hub (both with the button, and switching on and off at the mains), reset the phone (turned off and taken battery out, although no factory reset yet) and made the phone forget the Hub and re-entered the security key.

Thanks. :smileyvery-happy:

Aspiring Expert
syops

Re: HTC Wildfire connection help - previously no problems

Which Home hub do you have?

The issue with BTFon could be just the fact you have to log in through the brower FON landing page to get any access to the internet. This would stop any apps connecting before this is done.

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. :smileyhappy: ***
cornetto

Thanks for the reply. :smileyhappy: Some of the apps do work - Googlemail is one that I can think of off the top of my head. We have the Home Hub 2.
Aspiring Expert
syops

Hmm, If you have reset the hub then any IP associations it has should have been cleared.

Have you tried setting the hub to a different Wifi channel? try 1,6 or 11. Might just be interference form another nearby network.

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. :smileyhappy: ***
Beginner
Blaney

Hi, I have the exact same issue. My HTC Wildfire was connecting to Homehub 2 everyday since Febuary without any problems.

Since 18th April it has failed to connect, searches for ip address constantly then reverts to connecting to BTFON.

No updates done on phone. Re-booted phone, reset homehub but still does not connect. Removed btfon app but this made no difference either.

Laptop and playstation all connect ok still to Homehub. Phone connects to works Wifi systems ok and bt openzones etc.

Is it possible the Homehub has had a recent software update which has caused the problems? Anyone got any ideas or fixes?

Beginner
greenprint

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Exact same problem x2. Me and my girlfriend both have Wildfires both became unable to connect to Hub 2 yesterday morning as described above. 

Laptops in the house connect fine, phones connect to other wifis fine. Tried all unplug/ reset combos as described above. 

Girlfriend can get on FON my one cant even do that.

Homehub has been updated?

Any help greatly appreciated! 

Beginner
greenprint

[ Edited ]

Hi,

figured this one out.

First turn wifi off on your wildfire.

sign into the BT Hub manager on laptop.

Go to,

Settings> Advanced Settings> Continue to Advanced Settings> Wireless> Home Network.

You should see all the devices that have been connected to the hub including your wildfire, something like  android2001xxxxxxxx.

clicking on this takes you to the devices page, will say its disconnected etc, just press delete button at the bottom of page. Wipes the phone from the hubs memory. Turn wifi on wildfire back on, presto, connected automatically. 

Worked for me anyway. :smileyvery-happy:

Good Luck.

Beginner
Blaney

Fixed!!!!!

Simple but effective,

All fixed just as you described, Cheers for that. :smileyvery-happy:

phobic

It worked !!! BT said it was not the hub but this worked , thank you :smileyhappy:
HH
Beginner
HH

I had the same problem, as well, whereby my Wildfire suddenly stopped connecting to our BT Homehub for no apparent reason, with the message "obtaining IP address" appearing on the screen.

Well, I am DELIGHTED to say your instructions worked like a dream.

However, I am furious that neither Vodafone nor HTC could explain this.  I spent hours on the phone with both of them, and the best they could do was to suggest that I send the phone back to them for repair despite there being several threads on those sites about similar experiences.

What I don't know is where the problem lies.  Can you say if it is a Wildfire problem, a BT problem or a Vodafone problem?

Whichever, I am very pleased indeed that it is now working again and I have not had to lose my phone for a period of time.

Don't know how you figured it out, but you must be a genius!!  Many thanks to you, indeed.

HH: smileyvery-happy: