Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Expert

Home Hub 2 Connection Keeps Dropping

For about a fortnight now my Hub keeps dropping the connection for a few minutes and then reconnects only to drop again a few minutes later.

I have tried every thing I can think of having consulted the help pages and nothing has sorted out the problem.

When i speak to the Help Line they say it is a line problem, my phone service is through Sky but the phone works perfectly so the only conclusion is the problem is with BT Internet.

What can you do if no one will take any responsibility to sort out the problem.

Guru

Re: Home Hub 2 Connection Keeps Dropping

[ Edited ]

May I ask you who provides your Internet Service?

The problem = BT internet is an oblique reference to the fact that BT Openreach provide the connections for most ISP's in GB. It might be a line/exchange issue, but there are many more possible causes for this issue I have to say at this stage.

"We" on here, [BT customers] cannot take responsibility for the issue obviously, there will be plenty of advice, but it is a forum for customers for whom BT provides their Internet Service.

If its another ISP, then you should so to their Broadband forum, sounds like it might be S*y to me.

Sorry cant help more.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Aspiring Expert

Myline rental and  phone service is with Sky, but my internet is provided by BT

Guru

[ Edited ]

Then I'm stuck. 

I didnt realise that you could have BT Broadband if a third party supplies the telephone connection. :smileysurprised:

As Keith B said in one of your earlier posts, have you established its nothing to do with your Sam Knows Box?

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Distinguished Sage

As your broadband problems most likely lie with a line fault you really need to contact your phone provider and get them to get Openreach to check the line
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage

On the BT website it says

Do I need to have a BT phone line to get broadband from BT?

Yes, you'll need a BT line before you can get broadband or a package from BT. Line rental is not included as part of your broadband package and is charged for separately by BT.

To get a phone line and broadband from BT, just visit www.bt.com/packages.

Link is here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9395/~/do-i-need-to-have-a-bt-line-to-get-broadband-f...

I would suspect its simply the calls package that Sky provides.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Expert

Yes Kieth you are correct. I have a call package from Sky + Sky HD.
I have been in touch with the helpline yesterday and this morning. They carried out various tests??? . No joy, the hub has rebooted 3 times today at 11.03, 11.15 and the last time at 15.20. If it rebooted between 11.15 and 15.20 I don't know as I was away from home, I suspect it did.
I was told to phone back the last time I spoke, which I will do shortly.
Distinguished Sage

is your sky box connected to the phone line via filter not just the phone splitter sky provide you could try unplugging the phone line from the sky box and see if your problem resolves the boxes are a known soource of interference
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

It may be a problem with the home hub 2. See

Reported problems with the Home Hub 2.0

Have you another ADSL router you can try?

As John says, it could be a wiring issue. See this picture.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/skyconns.jpg

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Expert

My hub is connected to an ADSL v1.0 socket with the 2 outlets one for phone that has the Sky box connected the other outlet feeds the Hub. I understand the ADSL socket has a micro filter inbuilt to the phone ourtlet. This socket is connected directly to the incoming line from the pole outside.

My phone is in another room .The wiring was extended to this other socket from a connection made internal to the ADSL socket by an Openreach engineerwith Micro Filter in line.

I have already seen your link regarding Hub2 problems and that is the problem in my opinion for what it is worth.

The only other problem I can think of is a line problem which although the phone seems OK is unsatisfactory for an internet connection.

As this problem is a recent occurence I don't think it can be due incoorect wiring, it must be the hub, its power supply unit or the wiring exrernal to my home.

Since my last post the hub has rebooted twice, latterly within 10 mins of each bootup.