Beginner
andybrid

Home Hub 3

Hi

I just got a Home Hub 3 to replace my Home Hub 2. My computer has an Edimax wireless adapter. My operating system is Windows XP.

My old Hub 2 automatically connected to my wireless adapter. But my new Hub 3 always either connects to BTOpenzone or BTFon when I turn my computer on. The only way I have found to correct this is to run BT Broadband Desktop Help every time.

When I do this it connects straight away. Why does it not do this automatically anymore?

Cheers

Andy

Expert
gouledw

Re: Home Hub 3

Have a quick look at this, it explains how to automatically select the Home Hub as the preferred router to connect to http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12363/kw/my%20computer%20connects%20to%20BT%20Openzon...
Beginner
andybrid

Hi Edd

Thanks for your reply. I had high hopes that this solution would work. However, it raises two problems.

1. When I turn my computer on it connects to either BT Openzone or BTFon. Following your example if I doble click on 'Wireless Network Connection' in the System Tray and the click on Properties it opens but although there is a 'General Tab' and an 'Advanced Tab' there is no 'Wireless Networks Tab'. Because of this I cannot re-order the networks.

2. However, if I run the BT Broadband Desktop Help utility it does connect to my hub straight away. When I then click on the 'Wireless Network Connection' in the System Tray and click on Properties it opens and on this occasion there is a 'Wireless Networks Tab'. But when I click on it the only network in the list is my own Hub - so again I cannot re-order because it is the only one in the list.

I am obviously doing something wrong but I am at a loss to know what it is.

Any help would be gratefully received

Andy

Expert
gouledw

So no Network tab is present as such in this webpage

There's one more thing I can give you to try, try disabling BT Fon navigate to this page on the Home Hub

>Click on 'Manage My Service' under the BT Fon Section

>Your web browser will be pointed to the 'BT|Fon' page and then you will need to click on the blue 'CHECK THE STATUS OF YOUR BT FON ACCOUNT'.

>Login using your master BT Internet username and password (you can always reset it if needs be)

>And then scroll down to 'Opt Out of BT Fon' , re-enter your default BT Internet username and password and then click on 'SEND' and this should disable your BT Fon and Openzone access within 24 hours.

Important: Please note that by doing this not only do you disable the 'BT Fon' and 'BT Openzone' networks that come off your hub, you disable your access to the hotspots across the country.

Distinguished Guru
DS

andybrid wrote:

2. However, if I run the BT Broadband Desktop Help utility it does connect to my hub straight away.

Ah, this could be because it's taken over your PC:smileysad:

What happens if you remove Desktop Help?

Does the method Edd gave now work?

You can read how to uninstall and reinstall it on a post I made here - http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-Broadband-Desktop-Help-Problem/m-p/64681#M4...

note: you may wish to also read this IF you decide to remove it and never reinstall it - http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Broadband-Desktop-Help-automatic-data-collecti...

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
pjm002

Hi

I have the same problem - I think this is because you have to utilise the edimax config utilities to setup the wireless broadband settings.  When you try and change them via view available wireless networks I get the following message "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection ...".

I will see if a new driver fixes this.

Patrick